What's new

rattle/crackling noise at high rev

ally

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ivtec
Hello,

Have just joined the forum, apologies if this has already been discussed, I've not found this elsewhere. Hopefully someone can advise.

I have a Honda Accord 2006 2.0 ivtec, its my pride and joy. Has a full service history and is well taken care of, never abused and every so often I'll make sure the vtec is 'exercised' once the engine is warmed up.

This issue im having was noticed whilst exercising the vtec this week, when flooring the car it is smooth up to the point where it passes 6k revs, from then to red line im getting a strange crackling/rattling noise coming from the passenger side to the front of the car (engine area).
I've never noticed this before and its a strange noise to describe, possibly never noticed before as its not too loud and the stereo has been on.

The car itself drives fine, i dont think its vtec related as I can notice it fly after the 4500 revs and when idle the vtec limiter is not passing 4500 revs.
I have only been able to test this in 1st and 2nd gears but pretty certain it will do the same through all gears. I can obviously avoid this by not going pass the 6k rev mark but when it comes to the Accord I like to keep everything as it should be.

Anyone have any ideas?
Much appreciated

Thanks for replies very much appreciated.

Its definitely not the heat shield, that was removed some time ago. I'll need to check for the cat cover and report back. Its a strange one but if anyone has any other thoughts please let me know. :)

sorry, stupid me, just realised heat shield/cat cover is the same thing.
Just realised I could have edited the above quote too. Newbie :rolleyes:

Resolved. I was at my local mechanics today getting the annual service. Had the oil, oil filter, air filter changed and took him out for a drive to show the fault and its gone. Beauty.
He reckons it was possibly the air filter not sitting right. Well chuffed.