What's new

rear wheel camber / alignment

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
I've had all my tyres changed on my 8th Gen Accord tourer and took it for 4 wheel alignment as the inner of the rears had worn so quick and the camber is out hugely but the tyre place tell me they cannot alter the camber, it is a dealer job? Is this true?

I did find a bit of info on this site from 2011 where someone had this issue and changed his springs to sort it. My car is only 4 years and 44k old - surely it cannot need new springs?

Does anyone have any ideas? Both rear wheel bear in at the top in the wheelarch a little and they are a degree out.

Thanks!

The rear of the 8th gen isn't adjustable at all. Its basically a strut and spring and wishbone ***embly, with about 5 control arms.

I've read that is there is any wear in any of the bushes on those rods, that can cause tyre wear. Seems a bit young and low miles for wear, but who knows what its been doing, how many kerbs its been bumped up etc.

You definitely need someone who knows what they are doing, probably a dealer only job. Or maybe one of these pro alignment centres - Hunter etc, not Kwikfit!

Brett has changed all his rear suspension, so I expect he can tell us whats what.

I had the same problem with mine so went down the adjustable camber rout.
Iv had them on for 1 year now but at the time it was the only ones I could get and are poor quality.It sorted out the inside wear so all that was good.
Iv recently brought an ingalls kit that are probably the best kit you can buy and will be fitted by HH at the end of the month.Hear is a link but be prepared to pay another £40 for import tax.
Also the rear camber has no adjustment only the toe.Also if you ever thinking of lowering the car or fitting Aspec like mine adjustable cambers are a must

https://www.ingallseng.com/35623-rear-camber-toe-kit.html

Thanks for the input. I am not really up for spending £300 plus fitting (which I ***ume will be pricey too) however, would this kit be replacing the daft set up that is there so should sort everything out? Would I be best served ensuring no bushes were bad first? A large concern would be putting this kit on and there still being a fundamental problem...! Thanks.

And also, aren't the American Accords different to ours? Will these fit our Euro spec model? Just a thought.

The kit I have to go on only replaces the toe arm for adjustment.Also in the kit is a adjustable ball joint for the camber.
The upper and lower arms on the rear will stay as stock.
Check all the bushes 1st but I'm 99% all will be ok.Have you had any large weight in the back to cause any damage.

hale-pope said:
And also, aren't the American Accords different to ours? Will these fit our Euro spec model? Just a thought.
They fit the TSX that has the same setup as our Accord

Understood re the US model. I have not had any large weight in the back (though as richsprint points out, I do not know what the previous owner of 45k put in it) but it does strike me as a bit odd to have this happen to it. I would never want to lower the car but would want to stop the tyre wear and have the car properly set up. So, probably the only way to sort my problem is to put original cambers on which I ***ume are cheaper and may go again) or spend a bit more for these? How much do you think it will cost to put them on? And mine is just the diesel, so nothing potent.
Thinking about the weight issue, I am about to put 300kgs of tiles in it on Thursday which sounds a lot but spread it out and it is only like 4 passengers!

TBO I just think the camber issue is a thing with the car.How far out was your rear toe in tow out as this has a major impact on inner tyre wear more than camber.I will let you no the cost for fitting as HH has no book price for this.But this will probably take about 1to 1.5 hours per side.Also what size wheels are on the car as 18" on mine has more chance on camber issues.

It seems odd that something can happen to so badly affect the camber alignment of the rear wheels. Presumably Honda felt an adjustment wasn't necessary, so what's happened to cause this? Accident damage, worn bushes, weak/saggy springs?

I understand the need for adjustable camber arms after making suspension mods, but not on an otherwise standard car.

Iv heard this Jon on a few 8th gens now tbh.I thought it was towing my caravan but the nose weight of my van was well under the max weight specified by Honda.Also no rear passengers were in the car when towing.My 1st thoughts was week springs but had it all checked by Honda and all was ok.So this is why I went for the camber adjusters and the tyres are perfectly even wearing now.

No mate iv got genuin Honda Aspec but the problem was there before I had this fitted.
TBH I was going to try new springs when I had the problem but went for cambers just in case I lowered the car.

brett said:
TBO I just think the camber issue is a thing with the car.How far out was your rear toe in tow out as this has a major impact on inner tyre wear more than camber.I will let you no the cost for fitting as HH has no book price for this.But this will probably take about 1to 1.5 hours per side.Also what size wheels are on the car as 18" on mine has more chance on camber issues.
Thanks - I would be interested to know the fitting cost. My wheels are standard 17inch. It has had a full check over and all bushes etc are absolutely fine so it is 'just the car' which is really poor. I have the full read out from the garage (not to hand) but i recall a .01 degree and about 12mm or so, but I will need to check to be sure. I will also do a brief tyre write up in a few weeks too, after I have used mine a bit more an they have seen some wet weather!

If you can can you copy the results and post it hear.

brett said:
If you can can you copy the results and post it hear.
I just tried to upload an image but get the pop up saying that I am not allowed to use image extension on this community, so I will write the results.

Rear angle left:
Initial Camber -1.49 and inital toe -0,3(where '.' represents the degrees sign on the print out and ',' represents ',')
Final Camber -1.48 and final toe -0,2

Rear angle right:
Initial Camber -1.45 and initial toe 0,2
Final Camber -1.44 and final toe 0,1

Both the toes in the rear angle right are indeed positive.

Any input greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Yes your rear camber is out by quite a way.
The spec for 17" wheels is -1 ° 00 '±30
Your tow looks fine its in spec/ Rear toe-in: 2±2 mm (0.08±0.08 in.)

Why this happens I have no ideal and it looks very similar to what I had.
The only way I'm afraid is to go down after market cambers if you want the camber back in spec.
I would say its the camber causing this as your tow in tow out was not far out before your alignment.
The only other thing is new springs but I cannot be sure if this will cure the problem

:- (

So I ***ume that is either the ones you have on at the moment that it seems you do not rate or put some top of the range ones on that you are about to put on or just replace an original part that if it goes out again is not possible to change?

That's about it really or try the car now the tow is in spec and monitor the tyres.
But from experiance mine started to wear on the inside again after about 4 months.
If you want my old set of cambers when I change them your more than welcome.
If you can sorce some better quality bushes they will probably be fine.
But you will probably have to buy from the USA

They have covered 10k but Shocking bad bushes as one is already knocking.

Odd that we have to get good stuff from the Staes.

Than you for the offer of your camber sets. Would you recommend i wait a while and invest in the newer ones like you are getting and fitting? I am keeping a beady eye on my rear tyres in the meantime!

hale-pope said:
Odd that we have to get good stuff from the Staes.

Than you for the offer of your camber sets. Would you recommend i wait a while and invest in the newer ones like you are getting and fitting? I am keeping a beady eye on my rear tyres in the meantime!
Tbh I would just keep an eye on the tyres and if you do get uneven wear then go down the after camber route