What's new

Rear window winder handle removal

superste

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord VTEC 1.8 S
Hello all, I'm trying to remove the REAR door card and it's got a winder handle (poor me - no electric windows in the back!) The handle doesn't have a screw securing it on or anything, so I'm guessing it sits on a spindle and I can just lever it off. Ive tried gently to no avail, but I don't want to break anything obviously. I've read the how-to's on FRONT door card removal, but they've got electric windows. Can anyone give me the correct method of removal please? I'm sure you guys will come up trumps...

last time I had a window with handles, they were secured onto the spindle with a hidden pin that was just visible when you pushed the card in, by the spindle

^ ok, if I'm right, press the door card in as far as possible right next to the spindle and you should see a pin in the handle

ahh that's a circlip, the ones I've seen on other cars are a straight pin through the handle and the spindle, held in place in the handle by the chrome "escutcheon" (aka big fat chrome finisher/washer)

Had a look on youtube - this looks like a suitable way to remove that pesky circlip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psYYqQhWY2o

^ what's he doing with a car, his south 'merica accent sounds like he has a horse for rustling cattle LOL

have you tried the technique yet ?

Hi Freddo, yes finally got it off. That technique didn't work. An alternative technique is to catch the circlip with the edge of a rag. That didn't work either. Got it off with the tip of a fine screwdriver.

Next is to try and remove the door handle - it's suffered a crack and needs repairing or replacing. It's a bit awkward to access (you've got to peel back the door membrane for a start). I've took off a nut and it's now half loose. Time to get back to the good ole boys on YouTube - "I'd like y'all to meet my wife and sister...". Fill your own punchline in here!