What's new

rear windscreen washer not working 03 type s tourer

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord type s tourer
Just a quick question, I'm having an issue with my rear windscreen washer jet? wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

I've got nothing coming out at all? Today I removed the rear plastic inside the boot of my tourer and disconnected the pipes from the nozzle and operated the washer and I'm getting nothing at all so Its not a issue with the nozzle being blocked. From the drivers seat I can clearly hear the motor operating. I removed the wheel arch trim and operated again and I cant see any visible signs of the fluid leaking anywhere in the engine bay or on the floor?

I'm wondering if perhaps the pump is blocked or failing and doesn't build up enough pressure to push the fluid to the rear of the car, is this a likely scenario? Also does any one know what route the pipe take from the engine bay to the boot, I'm ***uming its through the roof lining?

I've lost quite a lot of pressure in the front jets also, I ***ume that they both have separate pumps or do they operate of the same pump?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers Dan

Honda hds would be easy way to test?

sent using tapatalk

Could be completely random but I've just noticed that the rear passenger footwell is soaking wet? As far as I can see though all the pipes are on the driver's side?

I had a similar issue with my 2009 8th gen' tourer.

The fluid bottle had a build up of slimy, snot-like algae which sunk to the bottom of the bottle and then was sucked into the pump and pipes.

I removed the pump and back flushed the bottle with a hose pipe to remove the algae. Then I removed all the piping I could and blew compressed air through it.

On my car, there was no filter at the pump (its the same pump for front and rear wipers) and so the Algae got into the system,

If you remove the edge trim on the drivers door-side floor, you can access a join in the rubber piping going from the bottle pump to the rear. Blowing either way through this will 'prove' any blockage in this line.

When I had cleaned the system i then poured in some bleach to try and kill the Algae spoors and flushed this through..

I reckon this might be worth doing on an annual basis. it would also be worth improvising some sort of filter at the pump.

Cheers, Terry

I didn't remove the bottle, though accessed it by pulling off the inside wheel cover. The pump just pulls out from the bottom of the bottle leaving a hole.

I just flushed with a hose from the bottom and the top of the bottle, plenty of water to remove everything.

i couldn't work out why there was no filter apparent at my pump - after all, even the smallest amount of debris getting through to the jets will block them. There is a filter at the access to the bottle, maybe this is usually enough, but if any algae grows in the bottle then of course this will get into the piping and into the jets.

I was also able to access the piping to the front jets by pulling off the side plastic panels on the drivers side of the engine bay, under the bonnet. The pipe runs up there and again, can be disconnected at a joint and be blown through.

When it was all cleaned, I refitted the jets, then made up a solution of bleach and flushed through all the pipes and then left it overnight, I then removed the pump again and drained all the water out before refitting the pump and then filled with screen-wash.

'Milton' is often used to purify and clean drinking water in caravan systems, just a sprinkle of this every year might stop algae growth?

Maybe some research night turn up a screen-wash which has algae inhibitors in it?

If you can find a 'run' of pipe and disconnect it and then also disconnect the jet from the end then you can easily blow through with your mouth and can detect if there is a proper blockage, for instance the one accessible under the doorstep trim can be blown through all the way to the rear and all the way forward to the bottle end if disconnected there at the pump.

It would do no harm to soak the jets in a bleach solution overnight. I stripped a piece of auto-electrical wire and used one of the fine copper strands as a jet cleaner.

All the piping is actually fairly easy to access. I cleaned mine a year ago and the system still works perfectly.

Cheers, Terry

With honda hds and laptop you can run tests however @scotsgent advice is more than enough to strip and diagnose fault

sent using tapatalk

run hot water through it to soften up the gunge that can accumulate over time, never use washing up liquid in it either. It worked for a few people on here without stripping things down, there's another thread on it. also worked on my missus car, 05 Civic

My front & rear jets in a Yaris I had stopped working, first the rear went and then the front, although initially i could hear the pump, the more i tried it eventually died and then I couldnt hear the pump at all, my issue was fixed by replacing the pump. Sorry not sure if this may help you or not.

cheers terry, I would imagine that would solve my problems. Did the tube going to the rear washer jet stay on the drivers side?

I've got a very wet rear passenger foot well and only noticed after I had been trying the rear jet, don't suppose it could be linked?

On my 8th gen accord, the piping from the bottle to the rear is on the drivers side.

Your's may be different?

Actually, on my car there is a connector in the break between the pipes under the door-step plate (mentioned earlier).

If the pipe on your car was on the passenger side (I'm not saying it is) and the connector has become disconnected, then it might leak into the passenger floor area each time you tried to operate the rear washer, (also, of course, this would stop any flow getting back to the rear washer!

Cheers, Terry