What's new

replacing a turbo

delboydub

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
lads need a bit of help my turbo on my 2005 2.2 diesel is starting to whistle a little and sometimes it kinda stall or drops power a little while driving i think the turbo is on the way out just
wondering is it easy to replace or how hard is it to get out was thinking of getting a recon one and sticking it in the car has 124k miles on it

lads need a bit of help my turbo on my 2005 2.2 diesel is starting to whistle a little and sometimes it kinda stall or drops power a little while driving i think the turbo is on the way out just
wondering is it easy to replace or how hard is it to get out was thinking of getting a recon one and sticking it in the car has 124k miles on it

Replacing the turbo isn't difficult par-se, but it's awkward and messy, you'll need to access the car from above and below. Disconnect all pipes and oil-lines, remove from the exhaust manifold and replace. Things to watch out for:

1. The EVR value and pipework - make sure it goes back correctly
2. Oil seals and gaskets. Get new ones
3. Seized bolts - get some penetration spray on these ASAP before work

Are you sure the turbo is in trouble? Is it sticking vanes? Any boost problems reported via the ECU? Was 0w30 oil used throughout?

to be honest i dont know it pulls with plenty of power all the way through the gears i suppose iam looking at it from the worst case scenario yes it has a good service history and 0/30 oil was always used
how can sticking veins be sorted do i still have to remove the turbo any pics of where the turbo is located or is it at the back of the engine at the bottom

to be honest i dont know it pulls with plenty of power all the way through the gears i suppose iam looking at it from the worst case scenario yes it has a good service history and 0/30 oil was always used
how can sticking veins be sorted do i still have to remove the turbo any pics of where the turbo is located or is it at the back of the engine at the bottom

If it's pulling fine through the gears, without hesitation and there's no boost problems reported, I'd wait until something got more definitive.

The stalling or drop in power could be something as simple as a fuel filter - when was it last changed and was it genuine?

Re getting at the turbo, it's at the rear of the engine bad, slightly to the left as you face into the bay, down low. If the vanes are sticking you'll need to get the gunk (carbon deposits) out of it. This can be done via a soak and spray without removing it, but honestly, it's better to strip.

If it was be, I'd be starting simple first.

If it's pulling fine through the gears, without hesitation and there's no boost problems reported, I'd wait until something got more definitive.

The stalling or drop in power could be something as simple as a fuel filter - when was it last changed and was it genuine?
Exactly. If the fuel filter hasn't been changed for a while and/or isn't the OEM Bosch unit, then get it changed.

The whistling from the turbo is normal and usually much more noticeable when accelerating away from a cold start. I don't think there's a turbo problem here.