What's new

REVIEW - Comptech Icebox (airbox +filter ) UPDATED 1/8/06

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
The actual install can be seen here http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/instructions/TSX_icebox2005.pdf

pics can be seen here

so i will not bother to do a write up of that, whaat I can say however is that the whole bumper DOES NOT have to be taken off.....just pull back the side that you are working on to about 15cm...just enough to get your hnd into get at that bolt at the back!!!! (believe me you need a small 6" pivoting ratchet and a 6" extension to get at this bolt!..and it takes the longest part for the install!!! i think the bolt is 10mm)

what it's like to live with

it is surprisingly civil when you want it to be but when you floor it you get a distinct rumble from the engine....it is NOTHING like what you get from the likes of a K&N type open code noise at all! it is more subdued and doesn't deafen you!............you must also take into account I have a Mugen exhaust on as well so there maybe a bit more noise compared to if you just installed the ICEBOX. below about 3.5K you can make it sound stock...indeed you can make it sound stock all the way to 4.5K if you aren't harsh on the throttle...the noise seems to kick in the faster you hit the loud pedal (i guess that's why it called that lol).

It give a bit more throttle response and from the graphs on the Comptech website I can believe that the figures they give are a true representation of the icebox. That can be seem here http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/dyno/tsx_icebox.pdf

what you must remember is that this is any sealed system so is about 1/2 as loud as any respective open induction system. difference is that with a closed system you retain the low end torque but gain less in the top end compared with an open system. With an open system you loose low end torque but gain a bit more in the top end...........for what it's worth you really DON'T want to loose low end torque in a Honda!!!

Well i think that's about it! oh and to mention the included element is foam so is resueable also!

my car was in warranty and the dealer didn't say anything, they even said that the car looks smart...has a few warranty things done such as the clutch master cylinder etc.

dealers that I use have always been good to me....in theory warranty is only affected on the part you change...I change the exhaust i look exhaust warranty etc etc. If you find you have to argue with a dealer about some warranty issue that is unrelated to anything that you have done chances are the dealer isn't helpful anyway! so i just walk and find another since i don't expect them to help much anyway!

The kit is very easy to install...but there is the resonator which is hidden behind the wheel arches that require the bumper to be moved out slightly to get to it...it's a huge box with a few tubes attached...if you leave that bit in then it's very simple to install....however you won't get the real benefits since it still has the restriction of the resonator.

If you fit an open induction kit is is a lot easier but you still have to think about ducting in cold air.

Comptech ICE Box FTW !!