What's new

REVIEW + DIY - Grounding / Earth Kit

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
UPDATED 10/12/06 one thing i will write first is that the jerky response when you lift off in first is much much much smoother ;) (TBH this was the main reason i wanted to try this)

For the longest time I had been thinking about the slightly jerky response in low revs and low gear. I always thought this was linked to the DBW hence..the electronics and sensors....if you don't know what i mean just try lifting off in first gear when your revs are around 2Krpm, you'll know what i mean by jerky.

I thought i'd give the grounding a try to help reduce the electrical ground noise level. Now The main reason i do this is to help reduce the GROUND NOISE level and hence increase the dynamic range of the signal/noise ratio.

Many of you may have heard that these things increase power/torque or whatever you may think...the only way these things can increase power or whatever is if you have a very very bad ground circuit...therefore adding a kit will allow the eletricity to flow easier. Many say that with modern cars the ground is more than sufficient....TRUE this is the case...if you're not really bother how your car feels. Truth is there is always ways to improve a car from manufacturers specs, with a high volume car like the Accord spending more on such little things like this turns into a large amount of ££. Anyway enough waffle..here's what i think:

INSTALL
----------
Well before people ask..this is NOT one of those posh ££££ kits...it was £20....from EBAY!
Installation was easy and i checked most points to help reduce resistance and provide the shortest distance to the battery negative. All you need is a ratchet with 10mm and 12mm sockets.
I connected five points
-battery to throttle body
-throttle body to top of engine(under the intake cover)
-battery to alternator
-alternator to chassis earth point
-battery to right suspension turrent (near the back under the DBW module i think)

REVIEW
---------
Power increase torque increase......how would i know!?!
what i do know is that the car is much smoother...in low revs in low gear and especially when changing gear...it's like the car coasts much easier when you change gear (very little pull back if you know what i mean)...i think this is linked with the DBW which has very little lag now. Certainly makes low rev low gear driving much smoother.

I think this is one of the most worthwhile mods for the money....true you can spend ££ on these so call kits...and TBH you just need some decent wires and you can do it yourself...i wanted a bit of bling so spent £20 ;). Best small outlay I've spent.

Yes people say these things are a waste of money etc.etc. take what you will for £20....excellent.

ground.jpg

ground1.jpg

ground2.jpg

hi m8 :)

all i can say is ....wow!
love that you have done this, have been thinking my 6th gen needs it. like the pics and the detial to the connecting points.

think al be visiting ebay for 1 of those kits;)

Two questions:

Q1. Is this any good for an iCTDI ?

and

Q2. In low FM radio reception areas my HIDs interfere with the signal giving a fair bit of static, would this help eliminate the static/interference?

Two questions:

and

Q2. In low FM radio reception areas my HIDs interfere with the signal giving a fair bit of static, would this help eliminate the static/interference?

Nope. But some better quality ballasts would.

This is the risk you take with cheap HID kits. Its a gamble.

Some are well insulated and others are not. And there is nothing you can do to stop the interference. I have had this very issue myself on a previous car and it was solved with some new ballasts.

It's not such a big issue. Only happens when reception is bad anyway, in low reception areas ... even if lights are off. Just makes it worse, that's all. Mostly it's perfect tho.

How about: