What's new

REVIEW - Sports suspension

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
ok here goes. (PICS AT BOTTOM so please read :wink: )
I test drove a standard 2.4 Type-S before i bought my car so all my opinions are relative to that.

To start from experience the Type-S and the Executive seem to have exactly the same suspension as standard. Just to clear up some questions that may crop up later. :)

When i first saw the 2003 Accord i fell in love with it straight away!...however i did think that it would be out of my league since, as standard i thought just too things needed to be changed in order for it to be MY car. With a book price of around 19,850 i just couldn't really consider it as my third car!

As standard the car isn't bad, but with no spoiler, no metallic, no 17" alloys and looking a bit high off the ground...it just lacked some flare for a Type-S badge.

QUEUE the power of online forums!! I posted the question on my old forum, coupe-club.co.uk and immediately got the help i needed :D a friend knew a friend who worked at a Honda garage near me and with my impecable timing for my purchase i managed to get an astounding price! :D

Managing to delay my purchase until the end of the year AND the end of the month (28th November to be exact!). My now FRIEND :D at the garage managed to twist the arm of the boss at the garage...end result I got my car WITH Spoiler + Metallic + Alloys + Sports suspension for 19500... including the price of my trade in (6 year old Megane coupe with 80K miles) the total came to 16100. For a car that needed nothing more (well until later :) ) i thought this to be an excellent price!...placed an order there and then lol

on delivery there was a lot of interest in the car when it sat at the dealers since the lower profile was noticeable right away + the fact that The Type-S is a somewhat rare car. People looking around at the dealers said that somehow it looked better than the other Accords but couldn't quite say why :wink: ...most of the cars at the dealers were TDCi so there wasn't the subtle bodykit nor the lowering effect given by the suspension.

The kit itself
=========
Enough of the blah blah blah lol!
Well the suspension comes as a full kit including the dampers so it is a matched setup...not a simple case of installing springs! The kit is finished in powder coat black so it looks stock.The pictures below show the car when it was fresh out of the dealers as you can see it is distincly lower...I would say now the car has probably dropped about another 1cm all round since the rears look even more tucked under the arches.

A total drop of about 30-35cm cm all round...although this number is subjective since i have seen some cars like they are on stilts and other which seem lower from factory.

Handling and Ride
============
The Type-S i test drove, drove well and composed on cornering with little body roll, but ride was more sprung than i liked. It absorbed bumps and bad road well and never felt harsh.

When i drove mine initially it didn't feel that much different on straight roads it absorbed bumps well, never felt harsh on badly tarmaced roads....but there was a composure about it...a feeling of grip on the road that could not be described until you went round corners....the turn in and response was much more 'feelable' than the Type-S i test drove...the slight roll when exiting the corner on the standard Type-S is replaced by a feeling of solidness that is hard to describe......i think the best way i can put it is it makes it feel like you're driving a smaller car with sharp cornering and quick steering response and road feel.

This is not the hard, crashy, uncomfortable feeling like when you simply install lowering springs on the car. It is really a very finely tuned system. I would recommend it for all those who like a more connected driving experience (I am by no means saying the standard car is bad!!!!!), it simply gives that bit extra that was missing.

If you still want the refined feeling when cruising with little addes harshness (like it should be!), but also want the looks and handling capability, then this is the perfect kit. :D

hon5.jpg

hon6.jpg

Please note suspension has dropped a further 1cm since photo.