What's new

Safety recall

tunstall

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
I've recently received a Safety Recall letter from Honda in Hemel Hempstead regarding the passenger side Tekdata Airbag inflator. Apparently this applies to several Honda models including the Accord and Accord Tourer (my car). To quote the letter from Honda - "In the event of an impact where the airbag is deployed, the inflator part of the airbag may ignite, in such a manner, that it creates excessive internal pressure. As a result, the metal inflator casing may rupture causing metal fragments to be propelled through the airbag and into the vehicle compartment. This may result in serious injury to the vehicle occupants. IMPORTANT: 1. NO warning light will be shown to inform you of this issue. 2. The airbag may only rupture when the airbag deploys in the event of a vehicle impact."

I have my Tourer booked in to my nearest Honda dealer to have a modified inflator installed into the passenger module, and the work will be FREE.

I haven't seen any mention of this on the forum, but if anyone is concerned the advice is to contact your local Honda dealer with the VIN of your car.

The other Honda models affected, as well as the Accord and Accord Tourer, are - Civic, Jazz, CR-V, Stream and Insight vehicles.

I've received the letter as I have had dealings with a Honda dealer and I was on their records. I don't know if this would apply if Honda don't know the current owners of these cars. A 'phone call to your local dealer with the VIN will let you know.

I also received this letter and will be booking it in asap. I'll probably go to the Hemel Hempstead dealer as they did the last airbag recall repair too.

Some of these letters are duplicates, I had mine sorted, and then got another letter to get it done again, checked with dealer and was ok not required to attend again.

I'll email the dealer to check but the letter does mention about the previous repair and this is something else that needs doing.

When I spoke to the dealer I mentioned it had been done already once before and they said it needs doing again with an upgraded version.

Yep, needs doing twice apparently, the first one was an interim measure and this is a final one.

This is how I understood it. Takata didn't have an immediate fix for the problem, so they opted to start replacing suspect inflators with new stock that could potentially develop the same problem, but would be good for six years minimum. The early replacements all need to be replaced again if the cars are still registered. Later replacements are OK.

Got my letter last week for the Accord.

Rang up the dealer and they can't seem to fit me in unless it is on the weekday as they are super busy.
Pretty disappointing as they should be taking these recalls pretty seriously.

Havent got any holidays left so may have to book it in in the new year.

Yes, I should have said that a previous repair of the Takata (not Tekdata!) airbag inflator is mentioned in the letter from Honda - and it's in BOLD. This is an additional recall to replace the inflator with an alternative type. I bought the Tourer in 2016 as a replacement for a Civic Aerodeck and the original inflator had already been replaced. I will be taking the Tourer in tomorrow and leaving it with the dealer - to do when they can. The only downside is that as my wife is coming with me in her Accord I have to go Christmas shopping!!!

I also received the airbag recall letter, and got mine sorted (in Reading) a few weeks ago, free of charge. :)

Mine too was carried out FOC, though no recall letter (looked online)

The tourer has also passed the MOT, but with a list of advisories almost the length of a A4 sheet. Some I need to get done in the next few weeks but others will require a bit more thought (and money).

I will be taking it easy on the roads for the time being.