What's new

Shudder when braking (and high speed)

babak

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord I-CTDI
Ive got some serious shudder when braking from high speeds, it isnt very annoying around town but quite bad on A roads. Initially I figured warped brake discs but yesterday driving on a smooth highway at steady 70 mph there are also vibrations in the cabin and steering wheel. My friend riding with me suggested that the two issues are probably related which sounds logical.

Ive had my tires balanced and alignment done but it still continues. Also the car seems to have a very slight pull to the right on a flat road (only noticeable when i let go of the steering wheel).

The pulling to the right and vibrations at high speed has been like that since i bought it but the shudder when braking seems to be getting worse.

Any suggestions so i can go to the mechanic with some idea of what it is and not get totally ripped off?

Warped disks my friend and iv edited your post at what speed you were doing.
It's not good to advertise such things on an open forum.
Apologies if that speed is legal in your country.

IAny suggestions so i can go to the mechanic with some idea of what it is and not get totally ripped off?

1. Warped rotors?
2. Seized calliper (heats up the rotor?)
3. Control arm bushes?
4. Ball joints?

Could warped brake discs be causing the vibrations while driving at high speed though?

Nope - but imagine the calliper was sticking and the rotor heating up from the friction - you could get vibration then. If you brake does it get worse ? Also does it get worse with higher speed?

Did you check the suspension for play?

You will fill a shuddering at high speeds when braking with warped disks through the steering wheel.Also if very bad you will fill it through the brake peddle as well.
Take the wheels of and inspect pads and disk for scorching and colour.Also check the condition of tyres and correct presser.

I would also check the slider pins on the Calipers to see if any are seized? That can cause a judder too. Had this type of issue on my prelude and it was a seized slider pin.