What's new

Spare tyre woes (2010 accord saloon)

btjtaylor

Reaction score
Car
Accord CU2 Manual
Hi all

I've just purchased a 2010 accord saloon. In the boot, a previous owner has put a full size 17" spare wheel, which in itself is not a problem, but it's too tall and it's making the boot floor not flat and losing some boot space.

I am also missing the foam insert that would normally go on top of a spare wheel with the jack etc in although I do have the tools themselves in a rather worn out Tesco carrier bag!

I'd like the solve this - I've asked a few breakers who have accord saloons in and they all seem to have just a can of tyre "gunk" in the boot rather than a space-saver wheel. I don't mind having a space saver as it's enough just to get home and get a new tyre fitted.

There's a load of 155mm R17 honda spacesavers online from breakers for very little money, most commonly from a honda CRV. As far as I can see this will fit in the spare wheel cavity but i'm wondering if I need the foam on top to stop the boot floor from collapsing when it's loaded with stuff? Does anyone know if the foam kit that was supplied from factory fits over any kind of spacesaver wheel?

Cheers in advance
Ben

After a lot of searching I found the part number for a spare wheel kit is 06421-TL3-305:
TEMPER WHEEL KIT for Honda ACCORD 2.2 TYPE S-H 4 Doors 6 speed manual 2012 # HONDA CARS - Genuine Spare Parts Catalogue (parts-honda.uk)

Spoke to Honda and it looks like it's now discontinued so will have to find it via breakers etc

The bits I actually need are as follows:

Wheel = 42700-TL0-G51
"Tool box" (Foam insert = 84541TL2A01

There are plenty of these wheels on ebay but they are fitted with 155/90/R17 tyres (Honda parts catalogue lists a 145/80/R17 tyre for the accord kit)

I am hoping this slightly larger tyre will fit regardless as the rim is the same

The foam piece is proving more illusive

Eventually sorted this out (it became a bit of a mission)

The tyre size should ideally be 145/80/R17 to match my standard wheels with 225/50/R17 tyres. I calculated that possibly a 135/80/R17 or 155/70/R17 would work but I wanted to stick to the Honda recommended size to make sure the toolkit fitted on top properly.

The only place I could find selling this size tyre was a company called "mytyres.co.uk" and they had such horrible reviews I didn't want to risk it. The tyres are shipped from overseas and the cost was quite high (£115 from memory) before any fitting costs.

Here's what I ended up buying and what it cost me:

Honda CR-V spare wheel, part number 42700-TL0-G51 (the correct rim, came with the wrong size tyre) - £43 from ebay
Subaru forester spare wheel (wrong rim, but correct size tyre 145/80/R17 which wasnt super old, production date 2016) - £50 from ebay
Boot foam insert + jack/tools/etc - part number 84541-TL2-A01 - £42.50 from ebay
Bolt to secure spare tyre £10.90 from https://www.sparewheelcity.co.uk/ho...aver-spare-wheel-retaining-fixing-bolt-screw/
And finally it cost me £10 for the local tyre bay to swap the tyres around

Total cost £156.40 which was a bit more that I wanted to spend - but from what I can tell reading online it was approx. £300 to have this from new so I guess I still saved money (not that I could buy it new if I wanted to)

6kIunSo.jpg

NTyMA4f.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great result and a nice write up. Will be really helpful for other saloon owners looking to do similar.