What's new

Squeaky noise when slowly releasing clutch pedal

silverman166

Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-dtec EX-T 2010
I've looked at posts on the other forums concerning the subject of a squeaky clutch pedal, but can't confirm whether those posts refer to my problem or not. It's a source of mild irritation for me rather than a serious problem, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it if at all possible.

Basically it occurs intermittently, and only when I depress or release the clutch pedal slowly. It sounds rather like the noise you might get if the coils of an extension spring are catching on the edge of something like a rigid, thin piece of card as they open/close (perhaps not the best of descriptions, but all I can liken it to at the moment, I'm afraid!)

Looking underneath at the clutch pedal, the return spring is not a simple extension spring, but a more elaborate compound torsion spring. I surmise that the likely source of the noise I'm getting is from the three mounting points for this spring, around each of which there is grease apparent, but which may still be a source of metal on metal contact.

Not being much of a contorsionist, I've not yet tried more grease on those points, and was wondering if anyone has come across this phenomenon, or whether it is likely to be cured by those solutions suggested under those other posts previously mentioned, which involve injecting grease behind a washer on the master cylinder rod?

Thanks in anticipation.

Have to do mine about every 6-9 months I just spray white grease on both ends of the return spring and the push rod into the master cylinder. Takes about a couple of mins.