What's new

Steering rack whining noise

magruvel

Reaction score
Car
Accord tourer 2.2
My trusted daily driver developed a problem with a steering rack. When turning the wheel a whining noise comes out... It is definitely coming out of the steering rack, from the part that three large wires connect to.
I am familiar with hydraulic racks, but electric ones are new to me.
Is there any common problem with these racks?

I took a video of the whining -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WIbFxBgC22gtjGIPQWsNBc2ON0mzCTUI/view?usp=sharing

Tie rods are disconnected in the video, so only the rack moves (not the wheels). There is no play in the rack, also no cracking, popping or jamming.
Sometimes when car is cold there is no whining for a few 100 meters, but then starts again.

Can this be repaired or should I find a new one? Hoping there are just some bushings that need replacing, because this model is not common in my country, so there are not many at the junkyards.

Every bit of information helps.

So the problem was rust due towater ingress trough damaged boot (it was not sealing on inner tie rod). Water was staying in the boot as it had no place to go. I remember old hondas ('90 civics) had a small hole in boot to allow water and condensation to get out). So rust formed happily partialy to the fact of beeing electric (all my previous hondas had hydraulic PS so lubrication was never a problem - they all leaked a bit :-D )
I cleaned the rust with 240 grit sandpaper and then "polished" it with 320, 400 and 500, lubed it first with oil in can than with marine grade grease. Solved the problem.
All work was done on the car.