What's new

Strange dashboard electrical problem

davbar1986

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 2.2 sport gt
Hi all,

My car has been sat up for about 4 months sorned (regularly started and moved with no issues until now). Came out last week to find that the instrument cluster is misbehaving. Whilst idling and no feet on the paddles the rev counter gauge needle jumps up and then down.
The door open warning light is on (showing all doors and boot are open) even though all of the doors are closed and the dash flickers every time the needle jumps. I've pumped the heat up and run the car for 45 minutes but the problem persists.

I'm guessing it's a damp issue and this is causing a short. Any ideas where to start testing or what action to take? I was going to take the cluster out and stick it in front of my home dehumidifier for a few days but I have limited knowledge to say whether this would be worth doing or not.

Battery is brand new (old one gave up). Car runs and drives fine so the problem seems to be isolated to the Instrument cluster.

Many thanks

Last edited:
We use a dehumidifier bag in the second car (basically dessicant that you dry out every month when it changes colour from blue to pink).

You could try the Japanese trick of putting a bowl of rice on the drivers seat if you haven't got one.

Might point towards an alternator issue?
When my alternator failed (its one way clutch pulley) whilst on the m25 my dials flickered up and down and then my cluster just died. Asume my battery was completely flat too as the altenrator was no longer charging it for while, but I have seen faulty alternators can cause electrical issues and flickering needles on the cluster.
Check your getting 14v across the battery when the engine is running.

Hi,

I'm getting 14.09v across the battery.

I cleaned the battery terminals and the earth and the symptoms have improved. The needles still spike but not as often (almost like a pulse every 5 seconds). The door open warning doesn't stay on constantly anymore either.

So I solved this issue (sort of)

After a lot of diagnosing the problem seemed isolated to the instrument cluster. I purchased a cheap replacement off fleebay to test my theory and the new one works fine. Obviously I can't use the new one as the mileage is much higher so my next question is how do I repair my faulty unit? I've seen instructions on how to remove the memory chip and reprogramme it onto a new cluster but this falls outside of my comfort zone.
Can anyone recommend a repair company or a way to switch the mileage? Thanks

Without knowing what the fault is, it is going to be difficult to offer a repair on the forum.

Do the terminals on the replacement unit look better quality than the ones on your low mileage one ? If there is no difference then you will need to start looking inside for changes.

You could always swop them over just before the next MOT (and the one after, and after.......)