What's new

strange ****led clunk

azza

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hi

Has anyone experienced a ****led clunk sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car, when accelerating in second gear.
It only happens once every journey at a speed of approx. 12 - 15mph regardless of turning right or left and going up or down hills or bridges.
Emptied the boot of spare tyre and tools still happens.
Tried moving off with the air con on / off still happens.
Had it on a ramp checked the exhaust and rubber mounts their ok.
Whilst it was on the ramp also checked wheel rotation, suspenion springs, bushes and anti roll bars they looked ok.

The only thing to change is I have had fitted two new pirelli's on the rear.

If anyone has any ideas or guidance please let me know.

Thank you in advance

Azza

It could be brakes locking on slightly.

there are a few threads already on binding brakes an checking the calipers... sounds like It's your rear brakes popping free to me.

As Dan said Az have a look at the link.This will cost nothing and is a good service to do.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/66-improving-brakes-%e2%80%93-the-basics/

As Dan said Az have a look at the link.This will cost nothing and is a good service to do.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/66-improving-brakes-%e2%80%93-the-basics/
Hi

Thanx for everyone's quick response, will have a read of the thread.

Azza

What size are your tyres?also what would help is your car a saloon Tourer which year which gen?
Hi

It is a 2.2ictdi saloon exec late 2004.

7th Gen.

The wheels which are on it, came with it. 225 45 R17.

Azza

I'd still say double check for play in the rear droplinks and the bar's d bushes with a pry bar because visual checks aren't always best.

can you check the inner rims of the alloy wheels to see if the tyre fitter hasn't doubled up on sticky adhesive weights.

Seen this way too often the chap runs out of the correct weight so he doubles up on weight in one are to make up the difference.. this causes a high spot and rubs against the caliper making that noise.
Hi

Just checked the weights, they look ok.

None of them are doubled up.

ONE thing I did try today was changing gear from 1st to third to see if it only did it in second gear - still does it.

Azza

I cant say without looking at the car dude too many variables involved to pinpoint , I suggested the above as changing your tyres was the new variable which caused this.
Hi

I'm tempted to swap the front wheels for back ones since the front ones still have the original tyres.

What do you think?

Would you like to look at the car?

Azza

Worth a shot, and check your hubs rotate freely whilst the car is up.