What's new

temp getting hot help!

warner320

Reaction score
Car
honda accord sport
hi i have a 2001 accord sport 1.8vtec f18b2 engine first honda ive had been good since i bought but in the last week its being playin up when hot where do i start.well on idle in traffic temp goes over three quaters on gauge and fans dont kick in top hose is hot but bottom hose int.and soon as i drive or put heaters on the temp goes down straight away with in seconds.and when car is hot if i get and leave for 10min then try start agin its a pain it wont stay running unless i rev for a few seconds if i dont it will just die on me.NO engine light comes on and the temp on obd computer is sayin 120c when up on gauge and then drop between 107-115c any help will be very gratefull :)

I'm not particularly familiar with the 5th gen, but it sounds like a new thermostat would be a good idea - a partially stuck 'stat will cause overheating, but because the rad doesn't then get particularly hot the fans don't come on when you might expect. Give the cooling system a good flush to get all the sludge out when fitting the new one, as this might also be contributing to (or even causing) the problem.

hi mate thanks for reply ive changed thermostat and now running spot on plugged in with my comnputer and running now at 96degrees and fan comes on at 101degrees so well chuffed and found out why its hot when it was.the problem on starting was petrol was vaperating on the rail when car was sitting so thats why it went spluttery on start up till more petrol got through but yeah well chuffed its ruinning spot on :)