What's new

Thule Roof Bars

hatt11

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CDTI EX
Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a set of Thule aerobars with the foot pack and fitting kit that clamps onto the door sills.

Im slightly concerned that the clamps, albeit they are plastic coated, are going to damage the paint work!

Im sure people here have them fitted, should I be worried, and be doing something to protect the paintwork or am I being over cautious?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

I have the same kit - just make sure the paint and the foot pack is nice and clean and be careful when fitting.
I've only used mine 3 times :-s, but so far no paint damage or marks.

Could you post a pic with them mounted on the car? I do also got the thule pack, but the rear bar just doesn't feel right. I'm not only afraid of paint damage, but also the possebilety of making a dent in the roof with some weight on them.

Thanks Keerat,

I was hoping someone would say that!

I'll give it a go, and see how it goes! Cheers

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a set of Thule aerobars with the foot pack and fitting kit that clamps onto the door sills.

Im slightly concerned that the clamps, albeit they are plastic coated, are going to damage the paint work!

Im sure people here have them fitted, should I be worried, and be doing something to protect the paintwork or am I being over cautious?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Hi Luke

Can help you with this one :D Have a search on Flee-bay for the self-adhesive paint protection films for cars / motorbikes etc... There are companies that will sell you this stuff from £30 quid upwards. What you need to do once car is completely clean and you have the rack sat on the car roof is mark on the inner part of the door frame where clamp hooks on to car when fully tight. once you have done this you can cut the clear film to to wrap around over onto the roof so it finishes by the black roof trim bit - DO CUT IT ON THE GENEROUS side to allow for a bit of movement of the metal hook bits. I can't say I've really had a problem with the feet rubbing the paint...they seem to be fine! You can always cut down an old inner tube to provide some extra cushioning under each clamp.

One thing I WOULD SUGGEST is that if you are using the THULE 591 carrier, is to purchase some nylon straps (short ones).....PENDLE make some nice ones for their wheel support rack....and loop them around the clamp arm of the carrier and the crank arm of the bike....it will hold your bike in place should the ratchet clamp ever fail....I had this happen and got an unsightly dent in the roof and a visit to the body shop!! :(

Hope all this helps :D

Simon,

Thanks for that, I will get looking for some, great advice thank you.....

Luke