What's new

To buy or not to buy?

Reaction score
Car
Volvo V70
Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at chaning my car and am considering the Accord 2.2CTDI Exec Tourer. I have seen one that I like and am looking for hints and advice, what to look for, problem areas etc. All advice greatly appreciated.

The car I have seen is a 2004 model with approx 96000 miles on the clock and 2 previous owners. It has the cream leather interior with wood trim.
It is priced at £5500 which according to Parkers guide would appear to be correct. Should I be looking for one with lower mileage or is the Honda engine pretty reliable and capable of many more miles? My ageing Volvo is now at the 160000 mile mark and still gives no hassle (only getting rid as its a petrol and crippling me with the cost of fuel)

Welcome to TA,

If you can stretch your budget try and find yourself a Facelift version (2006). The mileage should be an issue as long as it was looked after properly - check the search function for the things to look fro when buying an iCTDI...

Thanks Dan,

Wont be able to stretch the budget and was originally looking at a 200 7vectra 1.9 diesel but saw this older Accord on-line and really like the look of it.
I have no experience of Honda so was a bit wary of the fact its a high mileage diesel, looking on-line no-one seems to have a bad word to say about these cars and diesels do usually munch up miles, may just end up taking the plunge if the car looks as good in the flesh as it does on-line.

Cheers, AL

Many thanks CJ,

Doesn't look like anything too horrible on that link, saw a few post elsewhere about the engines giving up but most of them were from folk who hadn't kept regular checks on engine oil level!
Fingers crossed the car is ok as the other half has now decided it is a lovely car and it's a nice colcour! (I give up) LOL!

That seems quite expensive seeing as I bought my 05 plate one 12 months ago for 4800. Mine did have 130K on it ( now nearly 160K so theres the answer on reliability :D ) but I would expect a 04 on that to be 4500 or less TBH.

check the clutch by accelerating hard in 3/4th and look for any slip, check for fumes in the cabin (or ask if it had the exhaust recall done as its now beyond the extended warranty period from Honda).

The paint is really soft so look for scratches etc and bargain hard

Having had both an Accord and 1.9 Vectra I would recommend the Accord. Much better engine. Quieter. Similar mpg but overall a much better car. My Vectra and Accord had similar mileage but the Accord was 2 years older. It was in better condition than the Vectra.

Seems you can get them slightly cheaper

theres this on autotrader cheap as chips and seems a honest advert.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201106379138060/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/body-type/estate/model/accord/make/honda/radius/200/page/1/postcode/g128nr?logcode=p

Has a tow bar fitted, and what looks like tyre shine on the leather. nice though

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201052376227680/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/body-type/estate/model/accord/make/honda/radius/200/page/1/postcode/g128nr?logcode=p

Welcome along Allan,

Follow the advice above and in the link and you shouldn't really have any issues, you have the bonus that the good lady, already likes it!

As for price, you maybe able to haggle a bit off.

Maybe worth getting the oil and fuel filter changed for the correct one i.e by buying the oil and filter and providing to a mechanic you can trust to do the job, or yourself as it is relatively easy to do, depending on how hands on you are.