What's new

torque wrench

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
im looking to buy a torque wrench but wondered if anyone could advise me on which one to get.... i need a low range one that starts at no less than 2NM and could also do with it going as high as poss so i dont have to buy 2 wrenches. the ones ive found that start at 2 only seem to go up to 20 ish max which means i will need another to get the higher torque range.

so can anyone suggest a good all rounder that suits my needs? i dont want to be paying silly money either as its something i wont be using that much.

Matt I had the same problem when I brought mine.
I ended up buying 2 from Screwfix for about £50

I've got two of the three Halfords ones, they have crept up to £75ea over the last couple of years however. I mainly use the smaller one, the middle one only does my wheel nuts but I need the largest one for the crank pulley bolt and driveshaft spindle nut.

I believe the larger the range the less accurate they are, but don't quote me on that lol

yeah ive looked on Halfords etc and if im paying £75 each and need 2 then its probably beneficial to just pay someone to do the work.... my last gearbox oil change at Honda was £50 all in so i would need to do this several times before i see any reward in the wallet!

i was going to do a coolant change and have already bought the washer, seal and coolant from HH but if i need to buy a torque wrench at silly money to do then it becomes an expensive change..... i found a wrench on ebay that does 2-11Nm but its about £40 and i would probably never need this low range again after doing the coolant change!!!

maybe DIY isnt as cheap as people make out in the end...

Matt I had the same problem when I brought mine.
I ended up buying 2 from Screwfix for about £50

just looked on screwfix Brett and the cheapest is £35 but still doesnt go as low as i need...............

found this one on ebay which starts at 2Nm but only goes up to 24Nm so i cant even use it on my oil filter....... or if i drain the coolant from the block it wont torque that either.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230920762783?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I never used one on the coolant plug....is yours the plastic wingnut type of plug?

Just finger tight is enough to be honest just as you crush up against the rubber washer, and I say that as someone who has two torque wrenches and various torque specs stored in my phone lol

The (Halfords) 8-60Nm will cover a number of engine bolts including spark plugs and valves, rocker cover, drop links, ARB bushings, brake calipers, brake bleeder, brake banjo,powersteering pump, sump bolt, oil filter (petrol), gearbox fill & drain, etc etc so that could be a useful range.

Its true that DIY in the beginning isn't necessarily cheap, you might want to budget for £1000 of tooling and fluids and greases (buying as and when you need)

I just added a set of crowsfoot wrenches to my kit for £60 from Amazon. They felt a bit frustrating to use and kept wobbling off the nut or bolt, but just as I was thinking of returning them or consigning to the gadget graveyard it got me to an awkward rear ARB bushing bolt above the join on the rear silencer and allowed me to torque the droplinks as you need to spin the nut over a balljoint bolt which you hold in place with a Hex key to stop it rotating. This type of 'deep' crowsfoot was needed on the front lower control as the arm has a lip on it.

IMAG0378_zpsf9ed6a2b.jpg

If I can offer encouragement, you should continue DIYing...when you get to the nuts and bolts to coin a phrase, car are mechanically quite simple devices when you isolate each component or system IMHO ;) Not only that, but you'll gain valuable experience, soon learn to see worn components and faults, knowledge which you'll be able to take onward to future vehicles and purchases, oh and you'll have the tools to deal with it by then too. ;)

so how about this one???????????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181141544090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

even goes high enough to do the wheels

cheap and rubbish or a bargain???????????

decided not to go for the one linked in the previous post as it doesnt have Nm on the actual wrench and comes with a converter chart instead......................

so how about this one below, a bit more expensive but covers a broader range again. it covers 7-112Nm so should be good for most things. within the description though it states "Wrenches are individually tested to standards with ±4% accuracy and each wrench is issued with an individually numbered test certificate." is this normal as 4% of 117 is 4.68 so if a bolt needs to be 117Nm it could end up at 112.32Nm if lower or 121.68Nm if higher. is this anything to worry about or are all torque wrenches like this????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120862033029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I did the same as Brett and bought 2, except I went to Clarke aka Machinemart instead of Screwfix.

Personally I think the Halfords ones are good quality but pricey and the cheaper ones are good enough for once-in-a-while driveway jobs.

It will be used as once in a while driveway jobs. Things like oil and filter changes, coolant changes, tightening wheels, brakes/calipers etc. I won't be stripping an engine or anything crazy!!!!!

So would the Sealey one be ok even if it's possibly 4% Out one way or another as mentioned in the description????

I think so, I have bought Sealey tools in the past and they are good quality, and I see the Halfords Pro 60-300Nm is +/- 3%.

The screwfix one is also +/- 4% as well. Well I've ordered the sealey one now so it's gonna have to do..... Lol

This is becoming an expensive coolant change as I've also had to order some new axle stands as I can't find my old ones!!!! And got a new 3/8" socket set on top

True but the initial investment will repay itself many times over in the future.

If you haven't done so it's worth ordering a new rubber O-ring for the radiator drain plug from Honda - they only cost a pound or two and if you don't renew them they can leak after the job is done.

yes ive got the rubber seal, new engine block drain washer and coolant from HH. just need my wrench to arrive and im good to go :)

just been Halfords and treated myself to a new socket set and ratchet spanner set as they are on a half price offer at the minute.....