What's new

Touring Estate Tailgate Control Module

Rustyrescue

Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi, can anybody tell me where the tailgate control module/ecu is on a 2006 pre facelift 2.2 Diesel estate?
Thanks

Can I ask why you need to know? if you are having problems with the tailgate then it's usually due to broken wires between the tailgate and body.

It's under the roof liner at the rear where the tail gate loom enters but as Gray said there are a few other possible faults to dismiss before digging that out.
Hi , thanks to you both. Its actually a friends car...mine ok! the tailgate does not work at all, can only be opened with the emergency release. Neither the outside button or the remote work.
I have not been to the car, but suggested checking the solenoid that must be inside the tailgate to operate the catch? or is it an electronic catch., he said local garage said the ECU but frankly I do not believe they have checked all other options.

Can I ask why you need to know? if you are having problems with the tailgate then it's usually due to broken wires between the tailgate and body.
Hi Grayedout...thanks for asking, I think my posts now clarify....helping a mate from a distance! I think he should check the loom and the catch or solenoid (not sure what this car has) in the boot because if it does not work by plipper or the boot switch they could be at fault.
I know my previous A6 stopped working and it was the close button under the lip of the boot gone bad, new one and a boot height reset cured it but it did un catch just not lift.

This will be difficult to do remotely for someone else but absolutely the first thing to do (if you also search for site) is make sure none of the loom wires are broken AND that the outside boot handle hasn't got stuck in the open position. The later happened to me and as simple as it seems it led to a whole world of diagnostic pain and cost until someone mentioned it, ten minutes of squirting WD40 and working it free and it was fixed.

HI, there is a tailgate warning light on dashboard......does that help us diagnose the issue?

actually I may have jumped the gun! I will check.....was sorting another car with issues at the weekend!

Hi Grayedout.... by the above you mean the electric button switch that us above the registration plate..

The dashboard has the PTG light on.

Thanks

Hi, yes I have a tourer myself too. My previous A6 had a similar arrangement, it all went nuts, would not open or open then not close and it was the button on the underside of the lip duff and needed replacing and a height reset. My friends simply has the dash fault warning light on and nothing works other than crawling through the boot.

Hi all, these tailgates are a pain in the arse when they don`t work - Try this for size !
Mine in warm weather works perfectly as it should both from the fob and also the button on the tailgate, so far so good BUT in cold weather push the fob, it raises - pauses, beeps then closes again ???? when it is closing - if I push the tailgate button it stops and stays open - which to me proves that the hydraulic struts are OK, likewise the motor and wiring so I am stuck as to what to do to fix it - I demonstrated it today to an AA patrol man, he said he had never seen that before and could offer no reason but to guess it must be some kind of sensor ! Any suggestions desperately needed as it is now starting to bug me ! it has been like this for a couple of years and I have been meaning to get it sorted - so any advice is very welcome.

Hi All,
I too have been having issues with my tailgate. As jimbojim said, mine also exhibits the temperature problem (Computer says NO in cold weather) the circuit diagram for the tailgate shows that there is a temperature sensor. I could not include the diagram here as the system says that the JPEG is too large at 260K bytes. In cold weather, the remote stops working and will only open manually if and only if the remote hasn't already been operated. Unfortunately, now it has stopped working manually and with the remote. The tailgate dashboard light is on and I am loath to do a battery reset as that resets the clock. Getting the clock to show the correct time is with the sat nav which has great difficulty reading the DVD ROM! The tailgate can only be opened by crawling into the back of the car. There were some photos (by Morrisey and Freddofrog) on how to get at and fix the wiring loom for the tailgate but these have disappeared from the site. I would be grateful for them if anyone has copies of these, please?