What's new

Tyre Repair Kit

PaulPaul

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Pet
I have just placed an order for a New Honda Accord 2.4 Man EX. I was amazed to see that they do not come with a spare wheel anymore but a repair kit. Has anybody had the misfortune to have had to use one of these and how good are they? What would it be like doing this in the rain at night? What speeds can you do on a fixed tyre? I have heard that many tyre garages will not touch the tyre once it has been filled with this ‘stuff’ as it makes the repair difficult to do. New tyre is required.............but on a good note my son has just said to me when was the last time I had a puncture and at the moment have not had one in the last 7 years I have owned my current car. What are your thoughts?

I have just placed an order for a New Honda Accord 2.4 Man EX. I was amazed to see that they do not come with a spare wheel anymore but a repair kit. Has anybody had the misfortune to have had to use one of these and how good are they? What would it be like doing this in the rain at night? What speeds can you do on a fixed tyre? I have heard that many tyre garages will not touch the tyre once it has been filled with this ‘stuff’ as it makes the repair difficult to do. New tyre is required.............but on a good note my son has just said to me when was the last time I had a puncture and at the moment have not had one in the last 7 years I have owned my current car. What are your thoughts?

Paul i haven't ever used the stuff but i ordered a space saver from HH.
It arrived last week and is now in the car.

Personally I think the repair kit is a waste of time. Like Brett, need to order a proper spare wheel kit.

Afraid more car OEM's are going down this route or even worse, using Run Flat tyres....which can only be used once and are horrendously expensive to replace.

First thing I did when I found the "magic" repair kit was to get a proper spare wheel, as you say how good and how easy in the dark in the p------g rain, having to change a wheel is enough stress but to be relying on a bottle of goo!! no way.

Get the space saver at least, have had 2 blow outs in mine and both times had to be recovered so have now got the space saver.

The bottle of poo is ok for minor punctures but useless on blowouts etc
I think the manufacturers are saving money by not suppling a wheel and then can profit from you when you go purchase one so it's a win win situation for them

Oscar, It is also to do with weight saving and trying to get the emissions as low as possible, most manufactures seem to be going down the same route.

Paul i haven't ever used the stuff but i ordered a space saver from HH.
It arrived last week and is now in the car.

Brett,

How much did you pay for your space saver?? I got a quote here in Ireland from the main dealer for over €320 (about £280) :eek:

I got a quote from Lings for €178 (about £163) + postage

I'd rather pay that now and be safe in the knowledge of having a spare than messing around on a wet dark night with a bottle of gunk and a mickey mouse compressor.

Cheers

Brett,

How much did you pay for your space saver?? I got a quote here in Ireland from the main dealer for over €320 (about £280) :eek:

I got a quote from Lings for €178 (about £163) + postage

I'd rather pay that now and be safe in the knowledge of having a spare than messing around on a wet dark night with a bottle of gunk and a mickey mouse compressor.

Cheers
I bought one back in November/December 2009 for mine and it was £149.50 from the main dealer.

I paid 155 pounds from hh with free p&p

Hi folks,

When I picked up my tourer it had a matching alloy wheel in the tyer well, which although great it means that I dont have the handy storage which sits in the spacesaver.

Yes, but you might need to remove some carpet (or is that just 7th gens?).

Yes, but you might need to remove some carpet (or is that just 7th gens?).

I've just put a space saver in 8th Gen Accord. Yes there is enough room in the well for a space saver (but not for a full Alloy). I purchased the space saver from Lings and it also came with a retainer bolt (to keep the wheel in place) and a container (made of aeroboard) for the jack and brace etc...

Feel much more secure on my long drives knowing that at least I have a space saver to fall back on if I get a puncture. I also noticed that the gunk bottle had an expire date on it!! :(

I had a puncture on one of the back tyres on the motorway a few weeks ago. The trouble is that a rear puncture isn't obvious until way too late. By the time I was stopped I could have had a barbecue on the tyre and the inner sidewall was ruined. I did try the gunk at first because the visible outside wall of the tyre looked fine - it was easy to use but of course started flooding out onto the road because of the wrecked inner sidewall.

So now I'm on the lookout for a space saver or standard wheel that could fit the well....