What's new

Upgrading headlights

block

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Ex diesel saloon
Hi all.
Is there a way to improve my headlights, not main beam, without going down the hid route? I dont understand all the ballast, complicated stuff. All i really want to know is can i fit brighter bulbs? If so what ratings are advisable?

Cheers all.

I dont know why there is 4 posts. Sorry.

you can get philips super vision bulbs for around £30 or something but hids arent that complicated at all to fit and are probably the only decent upgrade if you dont have xenons already

Hi all.
Is there a way to improve my headlights, not main beam, without going down the hid route? I dont understand all the ballast, complicated stuff. All i really want to know is can i fit brighter bulbs? If so what ratings are advisable?

Cheers all.

I dont know why there is 4 posts. Sorry.
Hi,try carmodshop.I upgrade mine for 6000k.Service are good too.2 years warranty.Before was some problems with ballast,I call them,and they send me new ballast.Now is fine

Just look on autobulbsdirect for the H1 bulbs, I normally upgrade my cars when they blow, to something Philips or Ring, just read through the blurbs and pay what you want to pay for the colour you like - always come out brighter than standard bulbs as I'm the same as you not wanting to faff around with HIDs.

Paul it's a case of shopping around I've now got HID's and have had them for over two years with no problems. Try Osram nightbreaker they are very good

Cheers all.
The standard bulb is 55w. Can i upgrade this to a higher wattage? If not, can i just use the h1 xenons and will this give me brighter lights?
Cheers.

As long as they're Xenon Halogen bulbs (with a wire inside) rather than Xenon HIDs. Not sure about higher wattage.

Agree with Trev i wouldn't higher the wattage as the cable feeding the lights might not have the current capacity of 55W.
This could led to heat resistance in the cables and possibly burning.

Will have a look then. Xenon halogen may be the solution.

Cheers all.

If you don't want hids but want a quality upgrade bulb then philips xtreme vision, maybe osram nightbreaker and halfords extreme are your only real option @ £25 a piece you may aswell go hids (infinately better) for the same price. I can ***ure you there will be more messing about replacing the high power halogens much more often as they don't seem to last too long from my experience.

Just upgraded my other halfs bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers (ebay £12) and can say they make a significant difference without upping the wattage!! Money well spent :)

To the HID pushers; I know you think they're awesome but some people don't want to upgrade to HIDs, I don't feel comfortable doing it because HIDs are supposed to be automatically adjusting with a different reflector and beam pattern. Most cars with HIDs as standard have a sensor in the boot to adjust the beam, they lay flat when off and rise up when turned on, and often won't even come on if the height sensor returns a fault! To me it seems to be something you shouldn't be retrofitting for £25, I'm sure there are lots of arguments in your heads now for why it's safe to do, but I and I'm sure many others don't feel comfortable about it. If I want HIDs I'll buy a car with them as standard, for now I'm happy upgrading my wired bulbs.

Heheh, sorry I can't seem to write forum posts without sounding angry and upset, I was nicknamed the thread nazi when I was a mod on another forum! :D

Wow someone who shares the same views as me on HID's!!! They are great on cars that have headlights built for them but otherwise often look *****, blue and glarey. It's fine to be able to see the road really well but what about the other drivers your blinding lol unless you go the whole hog and retro fit a complete projector unit from another car its pointless =] get either the phillips or osram bulbs i'm sure you will be really happy!

As I understand it all most 7th hens are missing are the auto levelllers.

You're right though... Carp cars with uber bright blue lights are pathetic.

You lot do realise that the only thing the Accord is missing is auto levelling. And you have a little adjustment wheel by the light switch for that. if you cant manually adjust your lights while pulling a caravan or driving with a boot full of bricks you shouldn't be driving anyway because you will blind people with halogen or xenon bulbs.
The accord already has projector lenses and if it is an EX (Executive) it will have headlight washers.

If you don't want blue lights stay bellow 8000k bulbs and you will be fine. No matter what halogen bulbs you buy they will not get close to the light output of xenon light, And with the accord having projector lenses you get a prominent cut off and will not blind people.

When parked against a wall my beam looks identical to this, You can clearly see the cut off and no scattered light.

57764d1181626925-hid-glare-removal-mod-will-affect-lighting-true_hid_no_glare___even_beam_spread_00.jpg

hidchart.jpg

To the HID pushers; I know you think they're awesome but some people don't want to upgrade to HIDs, I don't feel comfortable doing it because HIDs are supposed to be automatically adjusting with a different reflector and beam pattern. Most cars with HIDs as standard have a sensor in the boot to adjust the beam, they lay flat when off and rise up when turned on, and often won't even come on if the height sensor returns a fault! To me it seems to be something you shouldn't be retrofitting for £25, I'm sure there are lots of arguments in your heads now for why it's safe to do, but I and I'm sure many others don't feel comfortable about it. If I want HIDs I'll buy a car with them as standard, for now I'm happy upgrading my wired bulbs.

I'm sure that was part directed at my comment. I was merely giving my opinion and answer to the OP about both options, he didn't say he didnt want hids because of legal issues as your concerns which do have 'some' merit but because of fitting.

Btw the accord is only missing the auto level, the projectors are perfect for hids. Owning a car with hids as standard I can tell you the adjuster causes ALOT more dazzle to other drivers as its constantly flickering bobbing up and down whereas the accord has a constant clean cut off.

These look good http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H1-Ring-XENON-Ultima-120-Halogen-Headlamp-55W-pair.html

They seem to look like a replica of xenons?