What's new

Used Car Price Increases saved my Accord

bockersjb

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Exec
Last October approaching lockdown number ? my accord VSA and ABS light came on, this coincided with the rear bearings starting to rumble, only two years after being replaced. So to save time I took the car to my Local Honda dealer for a diagnostic.
The result, both rear abs sensors failed, possible reluctor ring issues, binding front calliper, and front lower wishbone bushings failed! The cost, at dealer prices, was well over £2k, way more than the car was worth at the time. So as the MOT was due on a couple of weeks I sorned the car. At the time I was working form home 5 days a week so did not need the car. Here it sat for a year whilst I pondered options for a new car and considered selling the accord for scrap/breaking.

A year of dithering later and I need a running car again. Looking at car prices was a shock, over 50% prices increases for some I was after. So I looked at options for the accord. Found a pair of complete rear hub ***emblies, inc abs sensors at £70 for the pair. Cleaned them up and took them with the car to a local garage for an MOT and full ***essment.
They agreed to fit the parts, without guarantee understandably, and quoted the full job, MOT and service for just over £1k. Given the year of saved insurance, tax and petrol It was a great process to get the car back. So a week later I picked up the car. Excellent service form the garage too, kept me informed along the way.

It was now running better than ever, silent wheel bearings and smooth ride. I have since done a full detail, with ceramic coating. Fixed a load of small issues, such as rubbers missing, interior bulbs replaced, and added Xcarlink for connecting my phone to the Stereo system.

Am now enjoying the car more than ever, it's only done 96k miles for a 2004 model and the interior is still in great condition. Next step is to get the wheels refurbed as they are in a terrible state, not from kerbing but just the lacquer failing as it seems to on all accord diamond cut wheels. Then it will stay with us for a few more years, and it is also probably currently worth more than i paid for it 4 years ago.

Now just to get a few dings and scrapes sorted!

Enjoyable post, and petrol vehicles -so far- have not been demonised by the media, with the exception of two strokes.

Even they can be better with the emissions over the 2010 generation diesels and certain Germain 'electrickery' to avoid targets.

I'm hoping the care I've taken with the Tourer front end since I got her will provide a needed break next month, the last few weeks have been rather worrying.

Corrosion of iron discovered through various leaks and hose failures under the bonnet, another injector seal on its way out, sinking in a field plus stripped bolts near the radiator and around the thermostat.

Happy days

I also "invested" a lot of money to maintain my Accord Tourer 2007 2.0.
Not all works has been done yet, e.g. newer engine is waiting in barn for swap :)
2017 - car bought for £4,6K with 105 000 miles on it.
2021 - repair cost total about £4K and another 63K miles...
2022 - plan to swap newer engine with only 75K miles will cost another £2K... but when I see prices of equivalent cars these days, I don´t regret.