What's new

Vibration for first few miles

ajh1973

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 EX
Hi all,
I've had this problem for about 6 months now and the car has been back to the Honda Dealer (Marshall Patereborough) on 3 occasions but they can't find anything! I've spent some time searching the forums on here and read all about the solenoid filter, amoungst other things, but the symptons of mine don't seem the same.
The problem is as follows:
-start the car from cold and for the first 4-5 miles there is a hesitation/judder that can be severe i.e. verging on mild kangarooing!
-if you dip the clutch it goes away but the clutch is not slipping at all
-it tends to be worse at lower speeds (but as the first few miles of my daily drive are through 30 zones I can't do much about that!)
-as soon as it has been driven beyond about 4 miles it's fine, and it isn't the local roads as it has done it when starting from cold elsewhere
-there isn't really a loss of power

The car is an 08 with 32k on the clock has a full Honda Service history and no engines mods.

Any advice would be really appreciated- I'm at the point where if I can't sort it soon I'll get rid, which is a real shame as other than this the car is great.
Cheers
Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm from Peterborough and I find the Marshall franchise to be distinctly average. They are by no means dodgy or have bad practices, more uninterested and do what they have to. So your experience of them does not sound surprising. Saying that the lads at the parts counter are enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

It sounds like an issue with the cold phase of the car ie EGR valve or glow plugs etc, as after 4 miles I would expect the car has started to warm up. Unless the mechanics have kept the car overnight and started and drove it in the morning I would suspect they haven't been able to replicate the symptoms.

Have you had the engine light come on when it happens?

Hopefully someone else will be along later to offer more suggestions on your problem.

p.s. Please introduce yourself in the newbies section as well, you will receive a much better response that way. We are a friendly community and like new members to be the same, rather than ask a question then leave.

Matt

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the reply. I'd agree with your comments about Marshall, they haven't be awkward or anything but don't seem to be able to get to the root cause and sort it. It has been left with them overnight but they still couldn't find the problem. I agree that it's likely to be something to do with the EGR etc but given the car is still under warranty don't want to start playing with it myself.

P.S. I'll pop on the the newbies area and introduce myself.

Cheers
Alex

Hi all,
I've had this problem for about 6 months now and the car has been back to the Honda Dealer (Marshall Patereborough) on 3 occasions but they can't find anything! I've spent some time searching the forums on here and read all about the solenoid filter, amoungst other things, but the symptons of mine don't seem the same.
The problem is as follows:
-start the car from cold and for the first 4-5 miles there is a hesitation/judder that can be severe i.e. verging on mild kangarooing!
-if you dip the clutch it goes away but the clutch is not slipping at all
-it tends to be worse at lower speeds (but as the first few miles of my daily drive are through 30 zones I can't do much about that!)
-as soon as it has been driven beyond about 4 miles it's fine, and it isn't the local roads as it has done it when starting from cold elsewhere
-there isn't really a loss of power

The car is an 08 with 32k on the clock has a full Honda Service history and no engines mods.

Any advice would be really appreciated- I'm at the point where if I can't sort it soon I'll get rid, which is a real shame as other than this the car is great.
Cheers
Alex

Alex,

Just to clarify on your issue.

It does this for the first couple of miles then stops doing it all together ?

What happens say when you drive somewhere, long enough for it to stop hesitating, then stop for say anywhere between 1/2 an hour to 2 hours, so the engine isn't fully cold, but still warmer than a first thing in the morning cold start. Does it hesitate again or drive normally?

Also does it do this hesitation without fail every morning or does it come periodically?

Can you drive through the hesitation by accelerating harder or do you need to ease off the pedal ?

Any other symptoms such as excessive smoke from the exhaust, knocking through the clutch pedal, general sluggishness or anything else that seems to have appeared and wasn't there when you acquired the car?

Hi- Thanks for replying. Sorry for not answering your questions sooner- I've been without internet for the last week!! Answers to your questions below:

Just to clarify on your issue.

It does this for the first couple of miles then stops doing it all together ? - Pretty much it sometimes does it very slightly at other times but is always there from cold.

What happens say when you drive somewhere, long enough for it to stop hesitating, then stop for say anywhere between 1/2 an hour to 2 hours, so the engine isn't fully cold, but still warmer than a first thing in the morning cold start. Does it hesitate again or drive normally? It drives normally if left for short periods and is always bad from cold in the morning.

Also does it do this hesitation without fail every morning or does it come periodically? It's every morning without fail

Can you drive through the hesitation by accelerating harder or do you need to ease off the pedal ? You can accelerate through it, but that's not too easy an option as the first few miles are in a 30 zone. It seems to be worse when trying to hold a constant speed.

Any other symptoms such as excessive smoke from the exhaust, knocking through the clutch pedal, general sluggishness or anything else that seems to have appeared and wasn't there when you acquired the car? No nothing. As per my original post dipping the clutch stops in completely which makes me think it's engine rather than clutch/transmission. Could it be something with the EGR Valve?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Looks like I'll be cleaning out the EGR at the weekend. I was out in it tonight and noticed that the revs are lumpy between about 1300 and 1800 rpm then it goes away. I'd ran the car but it had then sat for about an hour before I restarted it. Will post an update once I've found the "how to" on here and done the job.

Always worth ruling out the EGR by giving it a clean,

Although I suspect it is something to do with the mixture at low revs.

Could be the IMRC valve sticking or an issue with a temperature sensor.

A common issue is the IMRC Solenoid, which gives these sorts of symptoms, due to an intermittent vac leak. This solenoid controls the IMRC valve which helps adjust mixtures for low revs.
Many cases of this though come and go, rather than are there all the time, however only rarely has the solenoid failed in entirety to cause the engine warning light to illuminate.

Has the car been re-mapped at all, as it tends to highlight any faults a little more.