What's new

Weird wobble

Maffro

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.4 EX
This is weird to me, never felt anything like it in any of my other cars.

Its like a wobble, but not side to side. It feels like its at the back end, cant be felt through the steering or pedals, doesnt seem to make any difference if im in or out of gear....
Not sure if its a shock or what, its like a continuous tiny bouncing motion from the rear. At first I was panicking thinking it may be a drive shaft but I would feel that through the steering wouldnt I? Could be tyres, warped alloy but again, wouldn't I feel this through the steering?
You can feel it in your butt through the seat or like if you have your hand on your leg with your foot on the floor, it is very slight and doesn't affect handling. Totally baffled.
If the weather wasn't absolutely howling I would swap the back wheels on to the front to see if it was one of the back wheels at fault, since I would then surely have more feedback through the steering.

Dunno, very odd

Sounds like it could be a wheel balance problem, or a tyre problem. Those are the two things I'd check first. Like you say, swapping the wheels front to back may show up the problem better.

Tyres i would say check for uneven wear as this will cause this.
Also check pressures and torque the wheels to 108N

Yep :) we've had that problem on several cars over the years, usually turned out to be a tyre/s or once or twice a wheel balance problem.

Our tourer had mis-shaped tyres when we purchased it because it had been standing a few months prior to purchase, changed the tyres because they were worn though, so different really.

edit:

On rear wheel drive merc sprinters and vitos centre bearings faliures have caused similar vibration problems.

Yep :) we've had that problem on several cars over the years, usually turned out to be a tyre/s or once or twice a wheel balance problem.

The biggy was the driveshaft lol, feels very different though and of course, you wouldn't feel that from the rear.

Our tourer had mis-shaped tyres when we purchased it because it had been standing a few months prior to purchase, changed the tyres because they were worn though, so different really.
Also another on is get a 4 wheel alignment from a hunter.I had mine done last month and its like driving a brand new car again.
Over time you dont realise how back these tweaks in the drive of the car are until you get it corrected.

Also another on is get a 4 wheel alignment from a hunter.I had mine done last month and its like driving a brand new car again.
Over time you dont realise how back these tweaks in the drive of the car are until you get it corrected.

Now that is good to know, our tyres have done six thousand miles now and we've not had this cars wheels aligned. Could be worth doing, do you know of anyone good in the York area to take the car to?

I dont think theres any garage on this island that has a hunter alignment device. Its a bit of a worry to be honest, garages up here are pretty low tech. I'll ask around tomorrow. Hopefully it will be something simple and cheap to sort. sick of living in the back of beyond to be honest, one garage seems the same as the next.

Edit:
Just searched online and found a garage that has a "supertracker" 4 wheel alignment device, probably my best bet - will phone them tomorrow