What's new

What to look for when buying a accord type r

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
Hey guys ive been looking at 6th gen accord type r's for sale for my next car but dont really know whats a good price for one and what would be the highest milege you would just say no way at? Any help would be brill thanks

plenty of guys will have tips on this here, but most accord Rs will have a hard life by now. things to look out for are burning oil (blue exhaust flume), rust, incomplete service history, at least 10 more things to add to that i would say!

as for price, for one in mint condition i think late 2k,-3k ish would not be unresonable for a late gen model.

Check cambelt and auto tensioner have been done as per schedule.
Rear door handles break on the inside clip
Rear light seals leak into the boot filling up wheel well
5th gear syncro on pre models,crunching into 5th and /or reverse
Brake lines front to back rot
Fuel lines front to back rot
Egr system and valve block with carbon causing misfire,valve clearances. can also cause this.
Interior clock not lighting up
Im sure theres more lol

I would say the main issues on the ATR is the rot that happens on the inner front arches if it's really bad it can be a car breaker as the cost to get it fixed can be upwards of £500 !! The reason for the costly repair is because the dashboard will need to come out costing hundreds in labour alone unless you are prepared to do it yourself. The easiest way to look for this is to look up in the footwells above the accelerator pedal on the drivers side, it's not so obvious on the passenger side but another give away is wet/damp carpets. The cause for this issue is a manufacturer fault when attaching the front wings to the bulkhead the seams were not welded properly and water from the windscreen drains away as usual but some water is aloud to leak between these seams and over the years it rots the metal from the inside out. This can go unnoticed for many years because it rots from the inside out it is still covered buy the seam sealer and stone chip and also it's behind the arch linner so even a visual inspection from the outside will not always be the best way to check.