What's new

Wheel Recommendations...

St3ve

Members
Reaction score
Car
Audi A5 Sportback
Hi All,

All four tyres on my Type-S are getting low and looking at the cost of a single tyre (~£180), it might be worth looking at a set of aftermarket rims, but I'm stuck for suggestions.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers.

Hi All,

All four tyres on my Type-S are getting low and looking at the cost of a single tyre (~£180), it might be worth looking at a set of aftermarket rims, but I'm stuck for suggestions.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers.
To be honest i would always stick to OEM rims but that's me.

I am inclined to agree, but will need 4 new tyres which are coming close to £800...

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s557p6215/FALKEN_TYRES_CAR_FALKEN_FK452_FALKEN_FK_452_-_225_45R18_95Y_XL_TL_

An example of good performing summer tyres at alot less cost is the above falkens or you could get some Hankooks for around £130 a pop. Then pay max £10 per tyre to get fitted locally and its not looking so bad.

I just bought 2 part worn tyres with 5.6 & 5.5mm of tread, goodyear all weather econetic brand fitted, balanced new valve for £35 each.

I need 2 more so ill be going down this route again, the guy even came to me and fitted them mobile! 2 premium tyres for the cost of 1 rubbish budget tyre!

As I do approx 20,000 motorway miles per year this is the best option for me.

I didn't bothe with new wheels in the end, local place to me did 4 x Michelin pilot sport 235/45/18 for £675 all in!! Bargain IMO.

nice one :)
You really should look at getting the tyres yourself as monks has stated.
at 140 quid a tyre inc fitting only comes to 560 which is 100 in your pocket still.

nice one :)
You really should look at getting the tyres yourself as monks has stated.
at 140 quid a tyre inc fitting only comes to 560 which is 100 in your pocket still.

True, but to me rubber is the only thing between you and the road. I would rather get the best tyres I can afford from a safety perspective.

Each to their own though :)

oh i know rubber is not to be skimped on....
what i meant was tyre places always charge loads more than what the tyre is really worth.
the sessantas for my epsilons (225/45/17) cost me 70 per tyre from camskill last year.
then 11 fitted and ballanced so in a thats £324 in all.
my local tyre garage, same tyre same service wanted pretty much 110 per tyre fitted. so a total of £440.

i saved myself a good 116 quid and yes it was a bit more hassle, but i got the same tyres and saved cash :)

A lot of the time tyre snobbery comes in to play. I have recently found myself in the same predicament as the OP. I ended up taking a gamble on new fancy wheels with budget tyres as they were only about £150 more than 4 decent tyres.

My wheels came with triangle tyres, Now these take an absolute kicking online and are generally considered absolute s****.
I was expecting complete ditch finders but have found them to be more than acceptable to be completely honest. My only gripe is that they are not the quietest. I have never lost it in the wet or dry and i don't fanny around but don't drive like a nutter all the same.

Tyre choice should really come down to your driving style and budget. if you drive like you are permanently late or you are not short of cash get the best you can afford but if you are just an ordinary driver then don't be put off by budget or midrange tyres.
When my tyres eventually wear i will replace them with a more premium brand but only because they are slightly noisier than i am used to. I find the performance to be completely acceptable.

So for £150 more than the price of 4 quality tyres i replaced my 17" boring wheels and got 18" nice wheels and 4 new boots. all for £560. Oh and i sold my Honda wheels for £330 So my outlay was only £230.

These are the tyres.
TR968.JPG

And this is the car with the wheels.
HondaPicturessamsungEX1013.jpg

Any excuse to stick a picture up. :lol: :lol:

Hello guys just a newbie to this world, but not a newbie to the modding world :D

Ok, ive search the form and not found my answer, hoping some guru on here will guide me.

Im looking at a new set off alloys for my 8th gen ex gt
Wheels size 8.5j x 18....the wheel width is now my major worry. It is the offset. Which is 15.
With the wheels being a 15 ofset. Am i looking for trouble with them catchin suspension, brakes etc.

Hello guys just a newbie to this world, but not a newbie to the modding world :D

Ok, ive search the form and not found my answer, hoping some guru on here will guide me.

Im looking at a new set off alloys for my 8th gen ex gt
Wheels size 8.5j x 18....the wheel width is now my major worry. It is the offset. Which is 15.
With the wheels being a 15 ofset. Am i looking for trouble with them catchin suspension, brakes etc.
Why don't you go for OEM sigma or Delta wheels.

offset 15?? it won't be catching brakes or suspension, but cars parked on the side :p lower offset means wheels sticking out of wheel arch, safe offset for our cars without modifying is around 38-55 ;-)

Yeah in the for sale section on here .... 4 michelin premacy tyres , immaculate only missing centre caps but can be bought for £12 on ebay