What's new

XCarlink Installation Location?

eddypolak

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Type S 2.0
I've just received my XCarLink USB/SD/Aux convertor and am wondering where best to site it. My old Accord had that nice big storage bin under the head unit but my new one has the DVD for the satnav eating up most of that space, and there's just a very small cubby left which is not big enough. Only possibilities seem to be 1) glove box and 2) storage bin under armrest bearing in mind that the box needs to be accessible (unlike some that don't have the USB/CD option). The cable with the unit appears long enough for either.

Anyone installed one in a similar 7th Gen and can share their experiences?

Take a look at mine.

p1130631.jpg

I decided to go with the glovebox option and stuck it to the right hand side of it. Not had any issues with it there. Don`t forget (if you`re not already aware) make sure it`s plugged into the head unit nice and tight. Me and a few others have found that the plug is a loose fit and sometimes doesn`t work but then on the next start up it works fine.

I decided to go with the glovebox option and stuck it to the right hand side of it. Not had any issues with it there. Don`t forget (if you`re not already aware) make sure it`s plugged into the head unit nice and tight. Me and a few others have found that the plug is a loose fit and sometimes doesn`t work but then on the next start up it works fine.
Thanks for the advice Dave. Last thing you want is repeatedly taking the trim off! Reckon I'll tape around the connector to help secure it.How did you route the cable once you'd got access to the back of the head unit? Was there any extra gloebox dismantling required?

Take a look at mine.

p1130631.jpg
Two questions. Is that positively fixed or simply errr..jammed in? Secondly, is that a USB extension cable attached and going off to somewhere more accessible? Even if not you've given me an idea....! Thanks!

Don`t know if anybody else has the same problem or if I`ve got a dodgy one but I tried wrapping insulation tape around the connector but it didn`t help, it still plays up.

I can`t remember how I routed the cable but don`t remember it being awkward. I may have had to drill a hole in the side of the glovebox, I`ll have to go outside later and have a look.

i stuffed mine down by the gear shifter, out of the way of the shifter cables and my nokia car kit box on the other side. I used the usb extension lead for the xcarlink and drilled a hole through the back of the ashtray and hid my usb stick in there. The ashtray is of no use to me anyway as i don't smoke :lol:

Two questions. Is that positively fixed or simply errr..jammed in? Secondly, is that a USB extension cable attached and going off to somewhere more accessible? Even if not you've given me an idea....! Thanks!

It's jammed, really, but never fell off.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, that's a usb cable that I use to feed my pda battery, but you can use it for whatever you want.
Here:

p1130629x.jpg

p1130628.jpg

I have put mine in the glovebox for now. I realise now that since you can use car controls to select 'CD' and tracks you don't really need to access the unit physically when driving.

I'll write up a few comments later in a new thread on how it went.

Thanks everyone!