What's new

xcarlink intermittently working anyone have a perm solution?

nduli

Members
Reaction score
Car
CDTI exec saloon
guys

have an xcarlink ipod set up running in my facelift ex with nav. it intermittently works, which is getting now very very annoying as i have tried multiple different ways to locate the unit and feed the wires etc. i am aware having read some threads that others have the same issue and it could be down to the connector into the rear of the headunit (i have previously unplugged and re-seated the connector which worked fine for a few days). ***uming it is the head unit connector does anyone have a perm solution to the problem (other than scrap it and buy another xcarlink - which i am sorely temped to do - i bought the link 2nd hand so no way to go back to xcarlink)

PS - what size of bolt and where can i source one from to hold the dvd drive into the dash ? as you can guess i dropped one when i last tried to fix this the other night and no matter how much stuff was unplugged and removed i couldn't find it - i am talking about the 10mm head bolt but is there an Mx number for the bolt ? (apols for the dumb question)

Have you tried finding the nut using a magnetic pickup tool ( think that's the technical name lol). I use this tool all the time and it gets me out of some tight jams

I did exactly the same thing when I fitted my rear view camera and spent an hour looking for the same bolt. Mine was behind the carpet even though I couldn't feel it behind there. There is some hard plastic behind the carpet which shapes and supports it round the transmission tunnel. There is a gap between the plastic and the transmission tunnel which is big enough to loose a bolt behind which is where mine was. As Shabz said a magnet tool should be be enough to get it out unless it has got wedged in from previous attempts to retrieve it. But perseverance should do it.

For the xcarlink it sounds like the points on the cable connector are loose so just need cleaning up and making sure they are a tight fit to ensure there is a good connection with the stereo.

I did exactly the same thing when I fitted my rear view camera and spent an hour looking for the same bolt. Mine was behind the carpet even though I couldn't feel it behind there. There is some hard plastic behind the carpet which shapes and supports it round the transmission tunnel. There is a gap between the plastic and the transmission tunnel which is big enough to loose a bolt behind which is where mine was. As Shabz said a magnet tool should be be enough to get it out unless it has got wedged in from previous attempts to retrieve it. But perseverance should do it.

For the xcarlink it sounds like the points on the cable connector are loose so just need cleaning up and making sure they are a tight fit to ensure there is a good connection with the stereo.

matt / all thanks for the replies. will get an m6 nut on the way home tomorrow night but will also have a look under the carpet i was lookign for a good 20mins and lost patience even with a magnetic bit holder for my drill....

re: the cable connector what do you mean clean them up and check for a tight fit, are you suggesting pulling the bits of cable from the plastic plug? not very experienced in this stuff so is that easy to do and would you suggest a noob do it?

think i have finally established the issue and (hopefully) have designed a rather heath robinson fix.

problem was not the plug into the back of the stereo per se but actually the wires into the plug as matt above had eluded to, the wires were loose (ie had room to move in many ways) in their connector blocks . Rather than trying to pull wires out and creating more of an issue i took a ****tail stick and shoved alongside each of the connectors to secure them in place. 4 days in and no drop in service from it, so lesson learnt that the plug into the unit may not be the issue but the wires into the plug may well be at fault (it seemed fine on initial inspection) hopefully issue closed