What's new

Noisy or Rattling timing chain

Update - Honda Ireland have told me to go **** myself regarding the warranty claim for my car. Going to contact Honda UK and see if I can appeal to their generous side.

Failing that.................. I really will be ******!!!

Sorry to hear that dude, but keep a lid on the language please.

Bad news. Honda UK confirmed today they will not be covering my car under warranty. As such, I will now have to pay for the timing chain/injectors to be replaced.

Sickeningly, this will probably mean I will be putting my car up for sale after the work is completed, as my total spend will be far more than my original purchasing budget. I will be ringing around a few places for prices on parts and labour.

Does anyone know is there anything involved in the timing chain replacement that would require me to have the work done in a Honda dealer? I have a local trustworthy mechanic that I use from time to time and I will be asking him for a quote on the work. From a previous post, I believe this is the total list of parts -

CHAIN (118L) (DAIDO)
TENSIONER ***Y,CAM CHAIN
SPROCKET, CAM CHAIN DRIVEN
CHAIN(58L) (DIDO) TENSIONER ***Y., OIL PUMP CHAIN
SPROCKET, DRIVEN (18T)
SPROCKET, CHAIN DRIVE
PIPE COMP., HIGH PRESSURE (#1)
PIPE COMP., HIGH PRESSURE (#2)
PIPE COMP., HIGH PRESSURE (#3/#4)
PACKING SET, HEAD COVER
GASKET, NOZZLE.
BOLT FLANGE, 12X87.
BOLT, FLANGE, 12X100
BOLT, FLANGE, 12X75
BOLT, FLANGE, 12X45
BOLT, FLANGE, 12X38.
NUT, FLANGE, 12MM
O-RING, 8.8X1.9
WASHER, SEALING, 16MM
BOLT, SEALING, 16MM
INJECTOR ***Y. Quantity 4

If anyone knows what sort of money the timing chain kit etc costs, can you please post? I would like to have an idea so I'll know if I'm being ripped off. Also, I've been told by a Honda dealer that the work takes 8-12 hrs. Is this correct? Thanks for the advice.

K.

If your old injectors don't break when removing the rocker cover then you'll save around £1k on parts mate.

Yes but only because they need to remove the rocker cover to install the chain and the injectors can sometimes break when removing the cover... There is no reason for injectors to be replaced for a timing chain and remember new injectors need to be coded to the car so unless you man has access to Honda diagnostics and coding, he can't install them anyway.

Tell him to leave lots of penetrating fluid on the injector bolts overnight and be very careful with them. At circa £300 each, they ain't cheap!

The job might not cost as much as you think.

The way I see it, in the cases where warranty does not apply, Honda should replace the injectors for free, when damaged. Being a design flaw or a injector part problem, that should be the right thing to do.
It's basically a part that gets damaged when servicing another. Sorry Honda.
tongue.gif

Coca Cola? Really?!!

Yup. When I had blow back on my old Pug that's what the tech said at main dealer. He said they usually have a go at getting them out but if that fails they pour a can of coke around it. Leave overnight and usually come straight out.

So to confirm, the only reason injectors are included in the list of replacement parts is the potential of the rocker cover breaking the original ones?

Can the new injectors be excluded when ordering parts or do they come as part of the 'replacement kit'?

Ok, so here's where my situation is at the moment.

My local Honda dealer said it should take between 8-12 hrs to complete the work @ €60/hr. This means labour will be between €480 - €720 (£421- £ £631)

The parts excluding injectors is €800 (£702) and including the injectors is €1,500 (£1,316). This is a discounted price I'm told.

So, the repairs will cost between €1,280 - €2,220 (£1,123 - £1,948) depending on number of hours labour and if the injectors are needed. I am getting other prices from a couple of non franchise mechanics too.

Just got on the phone with the dealer, and Honda Portugal has aproved the chain replacement. :D
Scheduled to 29 th August. Yeayyy

It's all so smooth and quiet.
Just got it back from the dealer. Got the injectors replaced too and had the 120k km service done.
I'm happy!

Nice one Nuno... Must be a good feeling to know it is an expensive repair you should never have to worry about.

I just wanted to update the thread about my timing chain issue.

I had the work done by an independent mechanic I've used for a few years. Had the chain done as well as an aircon compressor replaced and handbrake adjusted for €1639. Only thing is, when I started the car on Saturday morning and went for a drive, it was in limp mode. wouldn't rev over 2k. I only drove to the local shop about 5 mins drive away. When I came out and drove the car again, it drove fine. I went to the mechanic who checked for error codes. Nothing found. He said because I turned off/on the ignition it may have cleared the code as technically the car was then running fine. The plan is to drive the car tomorrow morning to try and replicate the problem. If it does occur I will drive straight over to the mechanic so he can check for codes.

Having searched the site, I've found some issues like this are caused by fuel filter problems. However, this wasn't touched (AFAIK) during the work being done on the car. Is there something else that could be causing this i.e. as the "fault" disappears when the car is warmed up?

Well if there is a permanent problem there, it should be logged in the ECU and the car should be in limp. The fact it's cleared itself is a good sign so I would not panic and wait to see if anything occurs again then investigate..

Sounds like a lot of work for a fair price, so you did well really mate.

Hi I have a05 Accord. I found out about the extended warranty for the crack in the exhaust mainfold and honda ireland have agreed to do the work under warranty. I also see honda uk have done the timing chain and injectors under warranty. I think I may have a problem with the injectors as well. has anyone got this covered under warranty in ireland

Well if there is a permanent problem there, it should be logged in the ECU and the car should be in limp. The fact it's cleared itself is a good sign so I would not panic and wait to see if anything occurs again then investigate..

Sounds like a lot of work for a fair price, so you did well really mate.

Issue turned out to be injector #4. Injector replaced and problem solved.

I'd just like to add, ever since I had the work done on the timing chain, the engine sounds exactly the same as it did before the work was done. Could this mean my issue was misdiagnosed and is possibly a tensioner or pulley issue? I'd hate to think so considering how much I'm after spending on the replacement chain.

I'd just like to add, ever since I had the work done on the timing chain, the engine sounds exactly the same as it did before the work was done. Could this mean my issue was misdiagnosed and is possibly a tensioner or pulley issue? I'd hate to think so considering how much I'm after spending on the replacement chain.
The 1st thing i would do is take it back to the guy that done the work as there will probably will be a warranty on his work.
Just something to consider but not to worry you did the guy check the condition of the oil pump chain as well.

The 1st thing i would do is take it back to the guy that done the work as there will probably will be a warranty on his work.
Just something to consider but not to worry you did the guy check the condition of the oil pump chain as well.

I didn't ask and i don't remember him saying so.

If the miles are higer than the 125k do you reckon they will still put a new chain in if its not had one before? Ive got full Honda SH up to 142k and independant stamped from there

If the miles are higer than the 125k do you reckon they will still put a new chain in if its not had one before? Ive got full Honda SH up to 142k and independant stamped from there

It cant hurt to ask.
I had my chain etc done under warranty in Feb 2010 (04 plate @ 110k miles)... I had the car serviced this week by a different dealership and the engineer mentioned it sounds like the chain is rattling again. Im now at 137k miles, spoke to the previous dealer who carried out the work and they said it would no longer be under warranty as their spin was

"the work was done under a TSB where the injectors are guilty of overfuelling, causing excess soot in the oil, leading to chain wear. As part of the chain replacement the injectors are replaced and ecu updated to resolve the overfuelling/soot issue... so if they issue has occured again, then it will not be covered"

I've asked the dealer who serviced my car to look into what can be done... but at the same time, I'm wondering whether the noise is something else. It is hard to tell. The dilemma is - if Honda will not cover the work under warranty, should I fork out the £1100-1300 to replace the chain when it may not be the issue (as Kkelly potentially found).

Oh well - will see what the dealership says.

I'm now in the process of trying to sell my Accord privately. The noise from the engine seems to be putting potential buyers off, even though I had the timing chain replaced. Is there anything else that could be causing the noise? Tensioner? Pulley? Thanks.

K

I'm now in the process of trying to sell my Accord privately. The noise from the engine seems to be putting potential buyers off, even though I had the timing chain replaced. Is there anything else that could be causing the noise? Tensioner? Pulley? Thanks.

K

Worth posting up a video of the engine running and making the sound, then others who have had timing chain issues etc can help identify what it is.

K

If its not the timing chain it will be your Belt Tensioner unit (you will need one with a refurbished or new bearing) parts around £70-£100, labours about £50

Hate to say it mate, but it is a possibility, how was the fault diagnosed, was it just by listening & guessing or did they use some equipment and do a sound test to see where the noise is coming from?