What's new

05 Diesel, accelerator pedal stops working

drax

Reaction score
Car
05 diesel accord
Hi All,

I was driving my accord home the other day and the accelerator pedal decided to stop working. engine was still running fine and the pedal itself felt fine. No error lights, and i did a quick scan with the obd2 bluetooth device and no codes (but that's not 100% reliable).

After restarting the car the pedal came back to life for around 10-15 seconds, then died again. i gave it around 20 seconds doing nothing and it came back to life again. same again down the road as i was getting to my house - let it roll and it came back to life after the same ish amount of time.

Accelerator pedal position sensor maybe? any other/better suggestions welcome, thanks :)

Dan

If the pedal just went dead then most likely the APPS yes. It normally comes with a temporary vsa and engine management light.

hi all,
just to update this thread for anyone that gets the same problem, it turned out to be low coolant level.

what i didnt notice was after the 10 mins of driving, the engine temperature shot up and the accelerator cutting out must be a safety measure kicking in to stop it getting too hot.
once the cooolant level in the rad and overflow tank was topped up, she ran good and has been fine ever since.

just to reiterate the symptoms - engine still ran fine the whole time, didnt cut out, JUST the accelerator pedal stopped working after 10/15 mis of driving (basically as soon as the engine was up to temperature), no error lights on the dash at all.

thanks