What's new

1990 Suspension components

andy_mc_mac

Members
Reaction score
Car
1990 2.0 automatic
Afternoon guys!

I am just after some information on the best place to order/source suspension components? I'm trying to get an idea of how many parts of my front and rear ***embly will need replacing and if so, roughly how much this is going to set me back parts and labour.

In the near future i was hoping to actually lower the car - so now at this stage i'm wondering whether to do this all at once, cost permitting.

I don't know all the names of the components :wacko: (sorry) but the top bar/joint on the rear suspension of a 4th gen, mine is REALLY rusty :(
all the rubber joints are perished too so will need replacing.

The cars done 106'000 miles over 27years and looks like its sat on the original set up - if it was you... what would you do?

Any help appreciated - be gentle ha ha

I'd always go for OE rubber bushes on a road car first, and especially if you're on a sensible budget.

If you plan on 'polybushing', i'd suggest you go for something with a similar density to the originals, like whiteline elastomer bushes.
I've used them in the past and they retain the cars manners, whereas an overly hard polyurethane bush will make it bang and crash about like a gokart.

At the last MoT did you get any advisories on suspension components? Unless you know there's a problem then I'd not rush into replacing parts that the MOT tester was happy with, especially as you're planning to lower the car in the future (when many parts will be replaced anyway).

Hardrace is high quality and future proof your car. Its hardened rubber bushes. Which is halfway house from oem rubber and polybush.

Ebay for basics, Energy suspension for polybushes. Also for some Honda bits and bobs check H-tune out.
Also lings Honda has exploded drawings of suspension components for 4th gen Accord. So you can get an idea what you need.

And anything else just ask.

I should add, dont mess about with buying new single bushes. 80% of the time you can buy arms with installed new bushes from the places i mentioned above. Particularly if you are planning to pay laybour rather that roll about the floor your self.

93 accord said:
I should add, dont mess about with buying new single bushes. 80% of the time you can buy arms with installed new bushes from the places i mentioned above. Particularly if you are planning to pay laybour rather that roll about the floor your self.
Thanks for your help! Really useful info - from all of you [emoji846]

This is the main part that looks bad
703e826f3c827b1c35ba80d67f50aa73.jpg

a33465ef6d413cf97b7e3a78087f8926.jpg

Here's the previous MOT advisories:

Nearside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Subframe mounting prescribed area modified, but not inappropriately inner sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Front Suspension spring mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive floor (2.4.A.3)
Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

It's only because we're taking the car on a 8hour round trip journey in July so I'm just conscious to make sure I've covered the worse bases ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy_mc_mac said:
Thanks for your help! Really useful info - from all of you [emoji846]
This is the main part that looks bad
703e826f3c827b1c35ba80d67f50aa73.jpg
a33465ef6d413cf97b7e3a78087f8926.jpg

Here's the previous MOT advisories:
Nearside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Subframe mounting prescribed area modified, but not inappropriately inner sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Front Suspension spring mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive floor (2.4.A.3)
Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
It's only because we're taking the car on a 8hour round trip journey in July so I'm just conscious to make sure I've covered the worse bases ha ha
Apart from the ARB bushes, those issues are down to chassis surface corrosion, and ARB bushes aren't a critical suspension component.

First issue is you cant tell the condition of the arms when they are that dirty. Pressure wash the arches. Rattle a cloth around on the arms. I bet they are not as rusty as they look. But that is the rear upper control arm. Buy in pairs dont bother just doing 1. You can get basic arms with ball joint and bush for £30 an arm on ebay. Or for fancy ones with adjustable camber £50 an arm from Hardrace. Like was said, anti rollbar end links are like 10er.

93 accord said:
First issue is you cant tell the condition of the arms when they are that dirty. Pressure wash the arches. Rattle a cloth around on the arms. I bet they are not as rusty as they look. But that is the rear upper control arm. Buy in pairs dont bother just doing 1. You can get basic arms with ball joint and bush for £30 an arm on ebay. Or for fancy ones with adjustable camber £50 an arm from Hardrace. Like was said, anti rollbar end links are like 10er.
Yeah - I think you're right.

I think I'm going to wire brush and clean back the components this weekend and see what we're dealing with. If the rust is predominantly only surface deep - I may just hammerite and not worry about.

Does anyone have any coilover setup recommendations for someone looking to drop the car but keep comfort? Not looking for a performance drop, sadly don't have the money for air bags - so it will be "budget lows" on this project sadly [emoji846]