What's new

1998 V6 3 litre Auto box - fix/conversion?

Barnaby

Reaction score
Car
Accord v6
Hi,

First post here!

I have owned the Accord for less than a year, All has been brilliant really, the gearbox was always a bit rough however.
I lost second gear about 5-6 months ago, i lived with it for a while just locking down to 1 and then to D4 to skip 2. Now the problem has gotten worse. I changed the oil a few times which helped at first but now it is pretty much undriveable.

any suggestions on how to move forward?
its a nice car so reluctant to scrap it, but its not worth a lot so don't want to spend on it!

One gearbox place quoted around £1700 to replace g-box!

I'm fairly competent and see there are kits in america to rebuild them with uprated parts/clutches etc. (I've never played with internals of gearbox before). kits are around £200 plus other bits and pieces.

There doesn't seem to be any around second hand, and I saw on here somewhere about gearboxes being chipped to the car?

Or is there an alternative?
An auto box from another later (reliable) Honda?
Change to manual from another honda/car? keeping existing engine? what's likely to be compatible?

Thanks

I doubt if a gearbox from a later Honda in the UK will fit, as all the later models in the UK have 4 cylinder engines.

Looks like your cheapest option, and the one most likely to succeed, is to take it out and do it yourself with parts from the USA.

Wish I could help more :(

If it's not shifting into specific gears then it could be an issue with the valves/solenoids in the valve body (from my recent experience on another car). If the clutches are knackered then the engine will rev up but the car will barely creep along if at all (again from another recent experience :blush: ). I've not experienced damaged seals yet (luckily) but I imagine it'd be more similar to the burnt out clutch symptoms as the box would be failing to produce enough pressure for everything to engage.

Are you getting any check engine or transmission lights? And is your car just failing to shift in to specific gears or is it revving up like it's a clutch slipping?

I think a member on here has rebuilt one of these boxes before, it might be worth having a search and trying to track him down.