What's new

2.0i ES Coupe, clunking noise, CV joint or diff...

Sphinx_T

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen Accord
Hi all

I haven't posted here much since I bought my Coupe as I've been busy getting my other coupe (bmw....booo, hiisssss etc) back on the road. Anyway, now it's time to focus on the Honda (see what I did there? Focus...Honda...)

It's making a horrible clunking noise which I think I've narrowed down to either the driveshafts or possibly even gearbox/diff but I'm happy to be proved wrong on that!
It makes the noise when going over bumps, but only sometimes. However it nearly always makes this noise when pulling away either straight or turning slightly. You can force the noise by accelerating sharply and/or lifting off sharply; it's a heavy 'clunk'. You can feel it through the pedals too if that makes any difference and it sounds like it's coming from the drivers side or towards the middle of the bulkhead area.

I've had a good look with a mechanic friend of mine and we levered and pulled the suspension around and can't see any play in any of the joints or bushes. We also put it on stands and ran it (lots of chocks and safety precautions); if you bring the clutch up fairly sharply in 5th (to send the greatest amount of torque through the system), it'll make this clonking noise. If you let it free-wheel in gear, again with the wheels off the ground, it doesn't sound very smooth and you can feel a slight vibration. This may have something to do with the fact it's on stands so there's no rubber insulation any movement, but it still doesn't feel right.

Is this a common or at least, semi-common issue? We were thinking it might be either the rear engine/gearbox mount (although it seems fine, no excessive engine lash seen) the bearing in the passenger side half-shaft support (bolted to the block), or perhaps the inner CV joints (gearbox end) or worst case scenario the diff itself.

Any help much appreciated guys :)

Hey dude.

To be honest, i think that what you've listed are the best places to start. Take out one of the driveshafts and you'll be able to see if it's sha99ed. I've not heard of the manual box on any 6th gens (ATR 5th gear synchro discounted) going wrong. Only the auto boxes packing up.

The only things i can suggest are - (in no particular order)

Bushes
Driveshalft(s)
Broken spring
Suspension mount
Suspension mount bushes
Play in the steering rack.

Sorry i can't be more helpkful Tom.

Hopefully someone else will pop along and have a suggestion for you.

Thanks Simon (I thought you're remembered my name from my intro post!...then I saw the avatar...)
I've got to be honest, we spent ages trying to narrow it down and every time we thought we'd pin-pointed it, it didn't add up. I'm reluctant to start replacing bushes here and there in the hope I stumble across it. I'll try and get a video of it if I get the time.

Have you visually checked the things i listed?

Also had another thought last night. It could be an engine mount. Get these checked mate. A mechanic should be able to visually check them. I can't really think of anything else that would make a noise at the times that you've said it clunks mate.

Well sorry to say mate i can't think of anything else that may help. :( I'll keep thinking though mate, and if i can think of anything i'll let you know.

Was the engine 'rocked' with the bonnet up to check that it wasn't hte mounts?

My money was on an engine mount at first too so that's the first thing I checked, it was solid as a rock (within reason obviously lol), when the clutch it let out it 'strains' the usual amount but no more.