What's new

2.2 i-ctdi engine noise

n1ks0n

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CDTI
Hi Guys,
Today I was doing the shorter aux belt mode and decided to crank with no aux belt to hear the engine. For me it seems that there is too much noise. Could you please advise. Timing chain going wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuYJTXdZ1p0

With belt on: failing steering pump and noisy tensioner pulley.. that's why i wanted to check sound without the belt. Using only 0w30 since ownership, but have no idea what oil the previous owner has been using. 160k miles on the clock. It's 9000 miles since last change so it's due. Current oil is Total. When I was using Castrol i found it better... probbably it's just me.

N1ks0n said:
Hi Guys,
Today I was doing the shorter aux belt mode and decided to crank with no aux belt to hear the engine. For me it seems that there is too much noise. Could you please advise. Timing chain going wrong?
Did you find what the noise is from?

I have already started to prepare for timing chain replacement so i will have news in a few weeks, but what i can't figure out is what is the noise that is coming from the other side of the engine not the timing chain and drive belt.

Today i got the rocker cover off after a 4-day fight with the injectors and chain is very very loose... also the other noise coming from the other side turns to be a clutch release fork. Car has 160k miles, had clutch and flywheel replaced by previous owners but they probably didn't replace the fork. I don't have enough time so i will continue tomorrow. Keep you updated.

Many thanks for the manual, because mine is similar but doesn't have the torques for relevant bolts. Later i will need advice if the sprockets need replacement (i will post pictures). Also i'm really concerned with the liquid gasket as there is not much space in there, but i will have to make it somehow.

After a hard work here is a video with the new chains and no aux belt, also i can't hear a whine which most users report after replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SshnXQu_XR4
In the process i have stripped one of the bolt of the injectors. used helicoils and a shorter bolt not stretch one as the originals are. It's holding now but i have no plans what to do.

Great work! Sounds good.

Hopefully the bolt'll be good. You'd think it'd be alright with a decent fixing.

Nice clean injector seats and fresh (or annealed) copper washers when it went back together?

Last report i will make to the topic is the whining which most users tell after new chain,guides and tensioners, also somebody told that a honda TA confirmed this whine happens. I was first to blame the new tensioner pulley which cost me a fortune being defective or water pump, but after a second check it is coming from the chains. I'm sure i have installed everything according to the manual and torqued it properly. Here is last video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_gvTbdvoY
I'm kind of disappointed, but i have no more time to dedicate to the car and i''m exhausted. I'll live with it.

N1ks0n said:
I'm kind of disappointed, but i have no more time to dedicate to the car and i''m exhausted. I'll live with it.
Strange, nobody didn't find out the reason for the whine till now.
I changed just two chains, nothing else and have no whine.

Mine just had chains too and doesn't whine.
It's not like it's a bad sounding noise anyway.

My new alternator belt was really noisy though, and has taken 3000 miles to wear the print off and shut its squeaking up.

It's probably the new automatic tensioners being really tight or i'm also considering something with the crankshaft oil seal and greasing, but find it ridiculous. Comparing to the mb cls320 we also have with a v6 3.0 turbo diesel engine which sucks and blows air sounding like a jet, although having crappy automatic gearbox kicking through gears , juddering and unreliable suspension. But everything has its pros and cons, no car is perfect. I just hope that the chain won't fail in the near 100k miles.

N1ks0n said:
It's probably the new automatic tensioners being really tight or i'm also considering something with the crankshaft oil seal and greasing, but find it ridiculous.
My Accord is facelift but tensioner was old type (ratchet)
Listening your whine I think it is possible to be different material of new guides...