What's new

2.2 Sport - Usual problems, need advise (manifold!)

Boomsling

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 Sport
Just bought a 2004 accord, I bought it for a reasonable price I think, £2300 with 154k miles on the clock. It had full history ect. Me being in Devon and the car in Staines I sent a friend up to collect it. Basically I took a £2300 punt.

When I got it back I learned of his trouble with it going into limp mode, and looked suspiciously at the 6 or 7 Magic trees I took them down and shoved them into the glove box.... I'll get to that.

Ive had all filters replaced (geniune ones!) and a complete drain down and re-fill of 0-30 oil.He free'd up some solenoid thing and reset the OBD error codes and so far they haven't come back (P1065 & P2004)

While I was getting all this work done I ask my friendly mechanic to check out the exhaust system, lo and behold he finds its blowing, very, very slightly from the manifold. This explains the magic trees, seems the seller was using them to mask any smell.

Im a little peeved, as the seller knew I was buying this car for my wife, child, soon to be born baby son , oh and the dog (who Im currently blaming for this whole thing). I asked him, the seller not the dog, specifically if he knew of any faults. He seemed like a good sort....

Anyway I've set up a parts search as having blown our budget on the car and the major service we have little left for these repairs so I'm hoping to snag one from a scrap yard.

Questions:

1) Is this advisable?

2) How much do you think I'll be paying in labor, how long does it take to fit?

3) I dont want to get a 2nd hand part that's the old design, how can I tell its the revised type of exhaust manifold?

I knew it would have been cheaper to get rid of the dog...We have a civic and it just wasn't big enough for 2 kids and their luggage and pushcairs and the ****** dog.

Regards

Boomer

I

Take it to a MOT welders and have the cracks on the manifold welded.

That will probably be your cheapest option. The labour alone will probably be the wrong side of £100. Its a fairly big job.

Failing that contact accordster he has a genuine manifold kit for your car for sale for £150+ P+P.

As i am sure you are aware that is a bargain.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/user/2304-accordster/

As Neal said is your best option

thanks for the replies.

Cheapest quote Ive had back is 195 for a used part!

I'll drop him a PM tomorrow,

Thanks again

Welcome to TA Brett.

Those two errors together normally indicate a stuck EGR valve, I know as I've mapped them out with those same errors so just see how it goes for a while.

The manifold will have cracked around the welds (its a two cast design welded together). Any donor part unless it's a revised design, is likely to suffer the same fate. So my advice would be to have it removed (it involves removing the turbo and draining the coolant too) and have it rewelded properly with a mig welder. It'll be fine after that.

If you read around the site, you'll see that this issue is covered by Honda for upto 125k miles but your car is outside the warranty limit now..

Good luck.

Hi F6HAD

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go with a new one if Accordster still has one going. If not I think that due to budget the manifold will have to be repaired using the welding method.

Just need to fix the tail gate then it closes fine but wont open (3 beeps), been reading up on all the tips & info here, will post up if I exhaust them ( no pun intended) ;)

Hi F6HAD

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go with a new one if Accordster still has one going. If not I think that due to budget the manifold will have to be repaired using the welding method.

Just need to fix the tail gate then it closes fine but wont open (3 beeps), been reading up on all the tips & info here, will post up if I exhaust them ( no pun intended) ;)

You need to hold the button down for a couple of seconds. Its to stop you opening the boot by accident when your keys are in your pocket.

I think the 3 beeps means there`s a fault. The simplest thing to try first is to disconnect the battery. This seems to reset something and has worked for me twice now. The only you have to do then is to re-tune your radio.

Will try that. Will the radio need code as I don't think I've got one.

No mate. The radio is all fine when it is reconnected. If you have inbuilt Sat Nav, it can take a while to find its feet though.

Going back to one of the original questions, does anyone have pictures to represent the difference between both manifolds?
...all potential buyers of 2nd hand pre-facelift cars could then evaluate whether they would need replacing in the future.