What's new

2.4 Battery / Electrical issue after flat ...

Angry Ant

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hello,

I left my 2004 2.4 sitting for two months after MOT, predictably the battery went flat. Bought a 5amp CTEK charger and left it on for over a week. A few moments after hooking up the charger the alarm went bananas but thankfully I'd already stumbled across advice about this from FredoFrog whilst searching for stuff previously.

After over a week of charging, battery has a health indicator on it, shows green for good. Went to start the car, nada. A few lights came on the dash but nothing, not even a pathetic attempt to turn over.

Jumped started the thing from the rear of my E46, which was not easy with 2m leads, took it for a spin. Whilst on the drive power to the instrument cluster was cutting out briefly on occasion, the instrument lights went out and needles dropped momentarily a few times, also the satnav was rebooting a few times on the 15 minute run. Back home, shut down, tried to start again, nada.

I cleaned the terminals, put copper grease on and tightened the screws, checked the earth was good, then I had to go back to work and been busy since then.

I don't have a multimeter but thought I'd ask on here before I went buying a new battery, etc. I changed the alternator for a new one a year ago. I don't know how old the battery is but the condition indicator / sight tube thingy on it shows green.

Any ideas gratefully received before I start searching for an automotive electrician. I'm happy to have a go at any work at all on the car, got plenty tools, but as far as electrics are concerned, all I know is if you can't fix it with a hammer then it's an electrical problem.

Cheers.

Could be down to poor ground connection, has it improved since cleaning up the terminals? Sounds like the battery has faulty cells, I wouldn’t rely on the battery indicator.

Thank you F6HAD, The tweaks to the terminals made no difference unfortunately. Taking your words on board, I've just got back from Euro Car Parts after work today, armed with a Bosch S4 025 540A 60Ah battery, reduced from £150 to £82 in this weekend's bank holiday sale. I'll install it and report further on whether or not I have any joy.

Great, good luck

I found most of my startng issues were fixed by cleaning up a small earthing terminal near the bonnet. By then the battery that came with the car had seen better days from continuous cranking, so I shoehorned a somewhat larger one from a Transit Connect into the space.

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Turns out you were both entirely correct. The earth at the body was bent and corroded and the battery must have had a collapsed cell as a result. Changed the earth for a new one and installed the new battery. No more problems and no more alarm issues either. For belt and braces I bought lead battery caps for the terminals to improve the grip on the positive terminal and also cleaned it up and applied dielectric grease.

Thanks very much for your help. I had not realised that the earth I was looking at was considered in bad shape.

Great news and thanks for circling back to confirm