What's new

2.4 Type S, clutch biting point low

urban boy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Civic EK4 B18
Hi, I have an 05 type S, the biting point is very low and the car moves when you let the clutch up onlly 1/4" or so. There is no slipping and the car changes gear reasonably okay, i do get a slight notchy feeling when accelerating harder and selecting 2nd gear. My Question is , can the master clutch cylinder be adjusted at the pedal? to allow more throw. I have check for leaks and also that the slave cylinder is operating, both seem to be fine. Could i just need a new clutch, car is on 66k.

Thanks Keef

Try a transmission fluid change and see if this helps. Its the cheapest thing to do 1st

Don't you mean "clutch fluid"? But yes, it is the cheapest thing to do...

:lol: I certainly hope not, otherwise my gearbox is sloshing around in DOT 4 :lol:

I had down shift issues recently, and they have been improved, but not COMPLETELY fixed by bleeding through the clutch fluid. Can't say that it affected the bite point though.

My transmission fluid was done last year at the HH meet which has seen 20K or so miles.... most of them easy "wifey dear" driving.

It is... it also does the clutch :p

Tastes like kack as well.... gave me a numb tongue for two days.

It is... it also does the clutch :p

Tastes like kack as well.... gave me a numb tongue for two days.
Deff to much red :rolleyes: perhaps bed time :ph34r:

Nah man, I have most of my second G&T to go....:D

Let's go Ebay baiting.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-HONDA-ACCORD-VTEC-SE-RED-/150657988036?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2313ea75c4

Harder than it looks..... this poor sod owned up to the spoiler and badge...

Thanks guys, i will replace the Clutch fluid and bleed thoroughly. Might leave Transmission fluid incase the clutch needs changing out, going to check pedal height tomorrow morning, and adjust if possible, just seems i need more throw, hard to tell if the slave cylinder is using all it's travel. I have noticed that on the Master cylinder, where the rod goes into the cylinder there is quite a bit of movement before the pedal takes up any real resistance, almost like the a worn ball joint, can't see any leakage though.

Brett, your mota looks sweet

Thanks keef

under the clutch pedal there is a push rod. That can be adjusted out by turning once the bolt is loose. When pushed out it will raise the biting point up by 2 cm depending on how much can be moved out.

Recently did a clutch fluid (dot4 brake) change on both my sisters Jazz ('06) and my bro's CR-V ('02) as both biting points were very high. After the change both cars felt extremely better under foot, biting point on both cars returned to mid level, and his clutch pedal squeel decreased enormously, if that's any help :huh: