What's new

2000 Reg Honda Accord cuts out on start

Superfly

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hey All,

I have a recently purchased a 2000 registration Honda Accord 2.0 SE VTEC Sport in Black.

She was a really good buy and came with a couple of issues.

The Engine Management light is on.

One was the handbrake didnt work, the other when I start it up first thing it struggles to stay running and cuts out a couple of times, eventually it stays on lowish revs and then it runs as normal.

Usually the cars choke would keep it running at a slightly higher rev on older cars until it is running, this doesnt do that it fires up and cuts out because there is not enough power.

Would a ODB 2 diagnostics scanner fit this car as it a 2000 model? I have found the connector next to the passenger side footwell. So I can find out what the EML light is on for.

Thanks Guys

I will keep updated and will add some pictures too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hello Mate

welcome to the club. The first thing you need to do is get that fault code read. Not sure if that reader will fit your car but i'm sure someone will know for sure.

Welcome to YA bud.

Very likely its the idle air control valve, theres one or 2 things attached to the intake manifold that solely deals with idling, changes are it needs a clean out, whip it off raz some petrol or brake cleaner on it.

this might help

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/2593-setting-base-idle-properly/

welcome fella as the guys said above

Very likely its the idle air control valve, theres one or 2 things attached to the intake manifold that solely deals with idling, changes are it needs a clean out, whip it off raz some petrol or brake cleaner on it.

this might help

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/2593-setting-base-idle-properly/

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info.

I have connected a scanner tool and it has brought up the following code.

1. P0118
Powertrain: Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

It is showing the engine coolant temperature -40.

I am yet to get the IACV cleaned out, ( will I need to replace the gasket ).

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info.

I have connected a scanner tool and it has brought up the following code.

1. P0118
Powertrain: Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

It is showing the engine coolant temperature -40.

I am yet to get the IACV cleaned out, ( will I need to replace the gasket ).

Thanks
I think it may be ECT sensor having read through lots of informative similar issues on the web,

Can someone tell me which one of the following is the ECT sensor.

The one to the bottom is underneath the distributor and has snapped away.

Could this be the issue?

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj380/SCOOZEY/Photo0009.jpg?t=1296723912

Thanks

I had the same startup problems once and it was the ECT sensor.

I don't know where it is though but that looks like it's probably it bearing in mind it's sat on the radiator hose connector.

I think they're about £50ish new from Honda.

If those are the only issues you did well.

If you want to try for a secondhand one www.partsgateway.co.uk are good.

I contacted honda they said there are 2 one with 1 wire and teh other with two. ( both next to each other beneath the distributor )

I said it was the one with one wire - he said it would be around the £50 pound mark.

I asked my dad if he could check with a mate of his who happens to be a mechanic. As a bit of it was broken off inside and we didnt want to botch it up.

He removed the part from his honda that was sitting in the backyard for parts and sorted.

He charged a £10. That issue is resolved I thinks... It seems to be a lot more responsive and smoother.

I put the diagnostic in and that fault code has gone but there is another one p1166.

I checked on the websites it suggests the Oxygen lamda sensor. Car has 130000 on it so it probably needs it doing, they are supposed to do around 100000ish according to some info I read.

Will keep posted.

They are pricey but you could try Forte Gas Treatment first.