What's new

2004 Faulty Power Tailgate

T.Campbell79

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 type S Tourer
I have a 2004 2.4 type S tourer, about 6 months ago the boot refused to open. I managed to resolve the problem by opening the boot by climbing in the back and manually opening it, I then disconnected the battery. This was only a temporary solution. I have since then, had to do this on at least 5 other occassions.
I phoned Honda Donnelly to be told there is no way to bypass the motor and have just a manual set up. To resolve the problem with the motor it can cost up to £1700.

Any advice? Im new on here so please forgive me if I have just jumped straight in and there are etiquettes I am neglecting to adhere to.

Many thanks

Trevor mate this is a common fault have a search in 7th faults there are plenty of threads on this.

Have a look here this is just 1 thread

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/3439-ptg-check-electric-tourer-boot-failed-please-help/

Hi I hadsimilar problem with tailgate on my tourer, this only started after battery went almost flat after I parked with side lights on. Car wouldnt open with button on key so opened drivers door with key car went into alarm had to manually open boot to get jump leads to get started being automatic started quickly enough off other car. When I came to close tailgate manually would not lock and tailgate open warni gon dash lit, I had to leave it unlocked overnight following day trip to local honda dealer who plugged their machine in and found a fault on tailgate system. I had sussed that out myself, good arnt they ? said if i booked it in they would sort it for me.
Instead I spent some time on this brilliant forum and then tried the battery disconnect reset and it worked, I hope this continuse working as this was back in August 2011 and still all working.so finger crossed.
By the way only ever had problems with not opening before and still is when car is facing down hill told by honda that its normal as door too heavy for motor on 7th gen models, this was over 3 years ago so got used to this. not a major gripe as previous car was aerodeck model no elctric tailgate back when they came out so am used to having to lift it on odd time.
regards john.

Check for broken wires on the nearside tailgate hinge area. I have just fixed mine one wire had broken, soldered in a new piece of wire and now I have a happy wife

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

pjwanddjw said:
Check for broken wires on the nearside tailgate hinge area. I have just fixed mine one wire had broken, soldered in a new piece of wire and now I have a happy wife

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
Same here had broken wires on both sides of the tailgate along with a botched up fix, I soldered new wires in using heat shrink and removed dodgy scotchlock connectors which made intermittent connections [emoji106]

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

When there are plenty of more recent tailgate threads it's a strange resurrection of a thread started 5.5 years ago which became "zombie" 2.5 years ago

thread-resurrection.jpg

freddofrog said:
When there are plenty of more recent tailgate threads it's a strange resurrection of a thread started 5.5 years ago which became "zombie" 2.5 years ago

thread-resurrection.jpg
Haha [emoji12]

Internet car forums are rarely hotbeds of administrative discipline!

It's a shame that there's no way to merge related threads, as each may contain it's own pearl of wisdom.

Jon_G said:
Internet car forums are rarely hotbeds of administrative discipline!

It's a shame that there's no way to merge related threads, as each may contain it's own pearl of wisdom.
or just delete some ;)

freddofrog said:
or just delete some ;)
Ultimately needs some management to merge, clean up and delete if necessary