What's new

2006 2.4 Auto - engine undertray missing, problem ?

raffy

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 2.4l Exec Auto
Hi folks,
I recently picked up a 2006 2.4 Auto saloon and its running great...however I;ve just realised that the engine undertray is missing..no doubt ditched during some previous service...how important is this ? I know it will protect the engine bay from some muck etc but my previous cars didn't bother with such luxuries...I enquired at a breakers and they have one available for £50 but I'm wondering how important its going to be...I've just spent a good few quid on brakes, gearbox oils and what not and another expense isn't welcome ! Thanks for your advice in advance

Honda obviously install them for a reason.

My touring regularly scoops up gravel on country lanes with the front bumper and the underside.
Last year I managed to ram a huge branch approx 2" thick up the side of the exhaust and it took quite a lot of effort to remove it too.

Without the undertray, that could well have gone through the sump as they're only cast alloy.

Only you know what roads you drive.
It would be like Russian roulette to me, but plenty of cars in the past didn't have them, so you could be fine.

Depends what the cars going to be doing. I bought my tourer for carrying me and my mountain bike around the uk and Europe, so I drive on tracks and such like a lot. I was under the car last weekend and I've caught my underside a lot...a real lot lol, so if I were you, for the sake of £50 it's definitely something I'd want.

Cheers guys, I've asked the breaker to send me pics to make sure its what I'm after..turns out its £50 plus £15 but as you say its better to be safe than sorry !

One more thing guys...if the undertray doesn't come with any fittings/clips what do I require ? I suspect its a bunch of standard 10mm clips...any other bolts or screws needed ? I'll be doing my own oil changes so I presume I'll need spares ! cheers again

Couple of circa 25mm long m6 bolts and a load of those those big plastic push clip things like the ones that hold the arch liners in.

Mine's probably got a half a dozen zip ties in it too where I regularly break those clips.

Great..Cheers Matt...I've got some m6 bolts already...they actually fit the air box!

They are an optional item under normal driving conditions.

I didn't realise my car was supposed to have an undertray until I started to read the manual. My gen 5 didn't have one and therefore I never questioned being able to see the entire engine and gearbox from underneath. I don't think the car has had an undertray for many, many years.

They aren't really necessary for reliability and operation of the engine, and they turn a quick look under the engine into a full on procedure.

They're attached with a few push clips and (I think,) 6 bolts.

I've cables tied mine on as well because as I've said it goes to mountain bike resorts. I caught it really badly in Germany this year at Lengris Bike Park, I dread to think what would have happened if I didn't have it in place.

Point taken, however driving over large tree branches like that is probably not what I would include under 'normal driving conditions'.

Trawling through my old MOTs recently I noticed an advisory that said these obscure some areas of the engine. Thought it was a bit strange to add this as an advisory as Honda add these as stock.