What's new

2008 i-ctdi oil sump

accord1108

Members
Reaction score
Car
Ex 2.2 i-Dtec
Hello,
I went to change oil in an accord belonging to a family member, and the sump plug was covered in a mound of sealant, so didn't carry on with the job.

I have got a sump, second hand as a new one isnt cheap.

To me the job should be straight forward enough, however just said i would ask have any of you replaced a sump on one of these accords, the one i have got is from a 05 accord.

Thanks

I'm not sure, but IIRC you have to either loosen the bolts on the subframe to lower the subframe a bit, or raise the engine a bit.

It's a whole world of pain to get a diesel sump off, I've done this when I replaced the cam and oil chains on my accord 04 diesel

drivers side engine mount off, rear subframe steering rack bracket off, two subframe bolts wheel arch air con compressor bracket off,four subframe bolts to loosen off but not remove to allow sub frame to be lowered.Engine needs hoisting and subframe needs forcing down at wheel arch drivers side so that the edge of the sump clears it.

If it was me, and the existing sump you mention is not leaking oil, I would buy, or borrow if you know someone with one a Pela pump and change the oil via the dipstick, or a 12v electric pump that would do the same job.

Simliar to pela pump, but cheaper:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-104616-Fluid-Extractor-Pump/dp/B003G2YV1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468965661&sr=8-3&keywords=pela+pump

or electric type :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mannesmann-Oil-Extractor-Pump-12V-Siphon-Pump-5-AMP-DC-Motor-GS-TUV-/201613501605?hash=item2ef119e4a5:m:mJ1saxzRNtzytAVDg2i6Lig

Just make sure the diameter of the tubing is ok for the dipstick tube, I know the Pela brand one is, never used the electric type.

T.J

Hello,
Thanks for replies, i have made a start on this job.

I have managed to remove all bolts holding the sump on bar one of them, which is in the bracket which the air conditioning pump is held. i will have to modify a spanner to get this one out, the front cross member is limiting access to it

Im hoping it should be possible to remove once i get this bolt out without much hassle,

trolleyjack said:
It's a whole world of pain to get a diesel sump off, I've done this when I replaced the cam and oil chains on my accord 04 diesel

drivers side engine mount off, rear subframe steering rack bracket off, two subframe bolts wheel arch air con compressor bracket off,four subframe bolts to loosen off but not remove to allow sub frame to be lowered.Engine needs hoisting and subframe needs forcing down at wheel arch drivers side so that the edge of the sump clears it.

If it was me, and the existing sump you mention is not leaking oil, I would buy, or borrow if you know someone with one a Pela pump and change the oil via the dipstick, or a 12v electric pump that would do the same job.

Simliar to pela pump, but cheaper:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-104616-Fluid-Extractor-Pump/dp/B003G2YV1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468965661&sr=8-3&keywords=pela+pump

or electric type :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mannesmann-Oil-Extractor-Pump-12V-Siphon-Pump-5-AMP-DC-Motor-GS-TUV-/201613501605?hash=item2ef119e4a5:m:mJ1saxzRNtzytAVDg2i6Lig

Just make sure the diameter of the tubing is ok for the dipstick tube, I know the Pela brand one is, never used the electric type.

T.J
You were spot on when you said a world of pain! got it done in the end though

accord1108 said:
You were spot on when you said a world of pain! got it done in the end though
did you have to raise the engine or lower the subframe a tad ?

freddofrog said:
did you have to raise the engine or lower the subframe a tad ?
I got the subframe lowered enough without having to lift the engine.

Had to remove the rear engine mount and had an awful job getting one of the bolts out which holds the air con pump bracket to sump.

Just counting time, i must have spent around 15-16 hours at this job, this is without a lift or pit.

I'd sooner try pull injectors out with toothpicks. than do that ball ache of a job again !!! top job feller B)

TJT