What's new

2009 8TH GEN - eletiric Power Steering rack knocking

larkin_11

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen Accord ES GT
Hi folks,

I have a 2009 8th Accord with 128000miles and it has developed a horrendous knocking that you can hear when you break or take off from traffic lights.

On investigation of this it looks to be comming from the electric power steering rack on the passenger's side.

I've looked into the cost of replacing this and a new rack alone is about 750 euro.

Looking at the second had route also.

Question I have here is if anyone experienced similar issues with the steering rack on the 8th Gen?

Is it feasible to reconditioned the original Steering rack? My understanding is it is more difficult as it is hydraulic.

Thanks

Mel

I'm not absolutely certain but I'd be very surprised if it was a serviceable item, I think your best bet would be to get in touch with a few scrapyards online and tell them what you want, they are fairly organised now or find a firm that can repair and recondition it.

http://www.power-steering.co.uk

Your steering is electrically ***isted, no hydraullic power steering on the 8th gen. Check the tie rods as once side could be worn hence on feeling it on the one side.

As Mr. Honda says... but perhaps the rack. need tightening :)

larkin_11 said:
Hi folks,

I have a 2009 8th Accord with 128000miles and it has developed a horrendous knocking that you can hear when you break or take off from traffic lights.

On investigation of this it looks to be comming from the electric power steering rack on the passenger's side.

I've looked into the cost of replacing this and a new rack alone is about 750 euro.

Looking at the second had route also.

Question I have here is if anyone experienced similar issues with the steering rack on the 8th Gen?

Is it feasible to reconditioned the original Steering rack? My understanding is it is more difficult as it is hydraulic.

Thanks

Mel
Hi Mel,

Did you find a fix for this?
My car is at the exact same thing, however it only does it when the car has had a bit of a run.

Folks

Thanks for the replies. Tie rod ends look ok on both sides.

When trying to recreate the noise manually, it seems to be coming from part which connects into the to the electrically ***isted power steering rack.

It looks to be loose in the housing, as you can see the visable play on the passangers side Vs the driver side.

@jamesoc91 - symptoms sound similar. The knocking gets much worse after a long drive when things have heated up also. I have not found a solution for this yet. Looking to see if it's worth my while getting it reconditioned or if the second hand route is the best option.

Thanks

Mel

[SIZE=10.5pt]Just to give a quick update on this. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I went down the second-hand route to fix this and picked up a power steering rack for 200euro (taken from a 2011 Accord with 46,000 miles on the clock)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I took it to my local authorised Honda Service centre and they fitted it for 120euro.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]This has resolved the knocking and the steering is much better (as in no play in the steering). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

That is one shocking road to drive on, full of huge lumps and what feel like curbs to drive over.
I would say more than a few cars come back with blown shocks and damaged suspension from driving that road.