eleveneleven

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 2007
Hi Everyone

In in the market for an Accord and have narrowed my choices down to 2

1. 2007 Manual 60k miles
2. 2006 Auto 99k miles

Both have full service history (2007 direct with Honda) new tyres and MOT untill 2022 both seem to be well maintained overall, The 2006 has a the added Nav screen and Auto gearbox.
the 2007 is slightly more expensive

I'm torn between the 2...

Would prefer an Auto but I'm buying this as a cheap daily runaround so the less to potentially go wrong the better.

Ok so my questions..
Based on the above info which one would you choose and why.
How reliable are the Auto gearboxes from this era? does it drive better than the manual? is it worth the risk or should I just get the manual and be happy.

Any input would be much appreciated guys

thanks

I understand there is a lot moore that could potentially go wrong, but have Accord Auto boxes ever been confirmed as less reliable than the manual version mile on mile ?

KISS as the Americans say - keep it simple, stoopid. The manual gearchange was praised in the original Autocar road test as being possibly the best of any car on sale so why complicate the car with an auto when it's hardly a bother to change gears yourself and do you really need a Sat Nav system from 15 years ago? I've had my 2003 2.0 manual for 15 years with no hankering for an auto but then I've got a fully operational left leg...

KISS as the Americans say - keep it simple, stoopid. The manual gearchange was praised in the original Autocar road test as being possibly the best of any car on sale so why complicate the car with an auto when it's hardly a bother to change gears yourself and do you really need a Sat Nav system from 15 years ago? I've had my 2003 2.0 manual for 15 years with no hankering for an auto but then I've got a fully operational left leg...

You're right mate, no point in complicating things...

Thanks everyone for the input so far, i'll be back no doubt with more questions soon enough

Cheers

The KISS works both ways, your average auto driver is unlikely to understand , or master the careful third leg required when it comes to gear changes.

Many manual vehicles have ended up in the scrapyard thanks to combining family / multiple owner useage .

Well my accord is an auto and i love it! I own a dirty diesel which is my daily and that has a manual box.I have no problem with MT but ive lost count of the amount of times ive been stuck in traffic with an aching left leg wishing id used the accord lol

I don't know what your DD is but a modern car with a clutch in good order has a release pressure of around 30 lb. with about 6 inches of travel. Not too taxing, surely?

Ok the next Dilemma...

A gen 8 version has come up that's in my price range. 2010, 2.0vtec auto 90k miles FSH

the gen 7 i was looking at originally is a 2007 with 60k also FSH it looks and drives perfect, my only issue is nothing has needed changing in that time so all original parts.

Has anyone driven both and if so what are the main differences between the 2 in terms of how they drive & reliability?

Would you swap your gen 7 for a gen 8 if given the chance?

Looking to keep it for at least 4 years if that helps.

Nothing goes wrong with a Honda at 60k that is not fixed under warranty.

Are you looking at saloons or tourers ?

Is it load space or creature comforts that attract you ?

Can you carry out your own servicing ?

Are you likely to fall foul if the next euro emissions grab by your local council on driving/parking the better older one ?

Will you eventually want to keep up with the Joneses ?

If either is dealer purchase, is the part exchange on your existing jalopy worth considering ?

Why not buy both , try both and sell whichever comes up short.

the gen7 i'm looking at is 14 years old so i'm guessing will be well out of warranty?

We have load space covered with the wife's car, the saloon will have more than enough space for our needs. I do like my creature comforts, another reason why the gen 8 is slightly more appealing, the only 2 things the older gen is missing which id like is an Aux input and parking sensors.

Only thing i'll be doing is fluid topups, servicing & repairs will be down to my mechanic.

I live in a rural area so hopefully wont be effected by these emissions changes anytime soon.

Never been concerned with the Joneses

I'll be paying cash, No car part Ex

Buying both?? now that's an interesting Idea... as tempting as it sounds id rather not have to deal with the hassle of selling the one I don't like. probably more concerned that I'll end up just keeping both

Seems like I cant go wrong either way both are great cars, just struggling to make a decision as to which one would be more suitable and cause me the least potential problems a year or 2 down the line.
newer car with more mileage or older car with less mileage

Last edited:
Some years ago I put a lot of thought into buying a 2013 2.0 EX manual with low miles on it at the local main dealer as it was 10 years newer than my 2003 2.0 Executive manual which now has around 175k miles. I've had it for 15 yrs. Plus points = newer, very slightly quieter. Minuses IMO = large, almost American feel, slower and with more ponderous handling, fussy interior, complication for it's own sake. I stuck with mine and I'll run it into the ground.

Thanks everyone for the advice, ended up pulling the trigger on the Gen 7 (manual) picked it up this morning. Its a great car to drive, gear shifts are beautiful and it builds speed nicely once it gets going.
The lack of an Aux input is a bit of a pain and parking sensors would have been nice but other than that I cant complain.

Aux and reversing camera are easy (and inexpensive) add-ons. I found a bluetooth/aux/usb add-on which plugs directly into an empty plug in the back of the stock radio (GPS version - not sure about others). I have a Tourer and knowing where the rear end is can be a bit tricky so I fitted a webcam wired to the reverse light which goes to a rearview mirror with a small built-in screen. I think it cost about 100€ a few years ago so I imagine they are only cheaper now and probably wireless.Capture d’écran 2021-06-01 à 08.45.22.png

I don't know what your DD is but a modern car with a clutch in good order has a release pressure of around 30 lb. with about 6 inches of travel. Not too taxing, surely?
Not taxing no just easier driving an auto!

IMO you've made the right choice going for the manual. Not saying the auto is a bad car, far from it, but less to go wrong with the manual 'box.

IMO you've made the right choice going for the manual. Not saying the auto is a bad car, far from it, but less to go wrong with the manual 'box.

Thanks Buddy, I do miss having an auto but really enjoying the manual at the moment. However I've noticed the clutch is making a squeaking/creaking sound when I press it. Should this be cause for concern?

Thanks Buddy, I do miss having an auto but really enjoying the manual at the moment. However I've noticed the clutch is making a squeaking/creaking sound when I press it. Should this be cause for concern?

We have an '09 Civic in the family that has had the clutch squeak when pressed since at least 2011 when we bought it. The clutch works flawlessly and is currently at around 100K km (yeah it doesn't get driven that much, but it survived two novice drivers so there's that..)

The auto box blunts the engine in the 2.0. I tried one before buying my car in 2006, and 126K miles later with the manual box I'm extremely happy with my decision. Still on the original clutch, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
The auto box blunts the engine in the 2.0. I tried one before buying my car in 2006, and 126K miles later with the manual box I'm extremely happy with my decision. Still on the original clutch, fingers crossed.

Having the manual now I can see that being the case, there's not much low end grunt in the 2.0 so I'm guessing the box would find itself hunting for the correct gear quite often. I Hope my clutch lasts as long as yours has :)

Having the manual now I can see that being the case, there's not much low end grunt in the 2.0 so I'm guessing the box would find itself hunting for the correct gear quite often. I Hope my clutch lasts as long as yours has :)
I'm still kicking myself for not spending a couple of grands more on the 2.4. But hey, you can still drop to 2nd and put the hammer down on the 2.0, still revs cleanly to 7000 after 16 years!

I'm still kicking myself for not spending a couple of grands more on the 2.4. But hey, you can still drop to 2nd and put the hammer down on the 2.0, still revs cleanly to 7000 after 16 years!

The 2.4 was my original choice, just couldn't find one in good condition. In typical fashion a week after I bought the 2.0 an 8th gen 2.4 came up for sale from a dealer just around the corner from me. Excellent condition inside and out FSH and only £650 more than what I paid for the 7th gen 2.0! I'm half tempted to sell this and get it but need to keep reminding myself that i only bought it as a runaround and it serves its purpose very well in that regard.

Same as me. I was looking around for a manual 2.4 but couldn't find any in the right condition/reasonable distance etc, so i settled for the 2.0. Saying that, 155bhp is good enough for me. I don't think i've regretted it...

I don't think the squeaking clutch is much to be concerned about. Mine does it occasionally.

Last edited:
With regard to the creaking, get an aerosol can of silicone spray and with the straw provided along with plastic tubing tie wrapped to it, squirt some in the end of the slave cylinder bore with the pedal depressed and released a few times. Repeat as required.