What's new

6th Gen Honda accord

damo74

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Hi i own a accord sport 2001 and 160k on clock been great but the last day or so it has started to look like xmas light on the dash and today it lossed the dash speedo the lot and then evrything not power car dead ... out come recovery and checked the battery which is new only two months old S5 bosch and now power charger pack on car fires up but not charging said it could be alternator but could be wiring ... could anyone advise to what i can look for fix myself or cheap as running total on car this year is £1300 clutch,steering rack, brakes, battery

cheers

Damian

Hi and welcome to the club!

Right...
you've had some warning lights on, then a couple of days later the car wouldn't start? You called a recovery guy and he got the car to start by jump-starting the flat battery? And, although you have a fairly new battery, he told you it was either the alternator or the wiring?

If I've understood correctly, then I suggest you first check the battery connections for tightness, then the connection from the battery negative to the bodywork, then the connector to the back of the alternator - that should make sure the wiring is OK. Then, you need to get hold of a voltmeter and make sure that the voltage at the battery terminals stays up above 13V with the engine running around 1500 RPM with the headlamps switched on and set to main beam - that'll check that the alternator is pushing out enough power.

If the above all check out ok, but you still have a problem, then let us know again.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to the club!

Right...
you've had some warning lights on, then a couple of days later the car wouldn't start? You called a recovery guy and he got the car to start by jump-starting the flat battery? And, although you have a fairly new battery, he told you it was either the alternator or the wiring?

If I've understood correctly, then I suggest you first check the battery connections for tightness, then the connection from the battery negative to the bodywork, then the connector to the back of the alternator - that should make sure the wiring is OK. Then, you need to get hold of a voltmeter and make sure that the voltage at the battery terminals stays up above 13V with the engine running around 1500 RPM with the headlamps switched on and set to main beam - that'll check that the alternator is pushing out enough power.

If the above all check out ok, but you still have a problem, then let us know again.

Good luck!

cheers jon

have already check the battery leads and are tight have check the earth cable and the lead at the back of alternator all ok i will check the volts tomorrow if i can get it up and running .. the recovery guy said it could be a blown bulb as the volts when running was at 10vs without the headlights on

cheers for the help and advise as i love the car and its never given me problems till this year

Damian

10 volts is far too low. Should be around 12.5V minimum, even with engine off... nearer 14.5V with engine running @ 1500RPM. And - as I said above - at least 13V with engine running @ 1500RPM and all headlamps turned on (i.e. electrically loaded). These figures are a bit approximate, but will give a good guide to alternator/battery performance.

I don't understand the comment about a blown bulb? What bulb?

sorry jon recovery driver said that the was no low battery light on the dash and said that the volt should show a warning light but might be blown so might not complete the circuit ??? have a mech looking at tomorrow as spoken to him said it could be alternator or volt reg so having look going to charge £190 so didn't think was to bad to replace if needed .

but thanks for the help and advice i have used it loads too fix bits on the car

Damian

Soudns like an alternator to me, and why a bosch battery? There are much better make available.

Soudns like an alternator to me, and why a bosch battery? There are much better make available.

i agree sounds like the alternator! haha i geuss your not a fan of bosch :lol: the S5 batterys are good tho! 5yr warrenty

i wouldnt buy bosch parts for my engine tho :rolleyes: there super 4 spark plugs are too over engeneerd for the accord.

I would go to the scrap yard and get a second hand1 for 30bucks and 30mins to fit. its mounted on the front on the engine! save you a load ££££!

cheers everyone yes it the alternator should all be fix tomorrow only went battery as on offer with rac and had 5 yr warranty and they will fix it

Damo