What's new

6th Gen offset, how much does it matter?

Redrook

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen
Right, apologies for reheating a much debated subject but there are so many people on t'internet that have no idea what they're talking about, and I've seen a lot of misuse of the term offset (people referring to PCD as offset etc etc).

I'm switching up the wheels on my 6th gen (again) to some more 17s but wondering what the minimum offset I could get away with is. The stock is ET50, and currently I have ET42s on with no issues that I know of. I am wondering if I can get away with ET38 as I have seen a potential replacement set.

Is anyone running such a low offset on theirs? In my mind that's only a 4mm difference to what I have now, although the ET42 are pretty much flush with the arch now. Thoughts?

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and it's not lowered at all.

i have 17" ET40(offset) 7j(wideness) alloys on my car with 225/45 tires. Tyre goes by couple mm from fender.
p.s. I have noticed that dunlop tires are wider than others with same dimmensions

225/45/R17 is quite a bit bigger than the stock overall diameter so that's probably why they're so close, you're speedo will be miles out too. I was running 215/45/R17 and my speedo was 3/4mph different.

Anyone got any experience of running a lower offset while maintaining the actual stock diameter (or close enough). Stock size (195/60/R15) equates to 205/45/R17. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Any help would be great, I don't want to buy wheels to find they rub all the time! Looking at some at ET35 now too.

actually. when i run these tires I see actual speed on my speedometer. When you run stock 195/60r15 your speedo shows a little more than actually you are going.
True story tested with GPS.

I use this http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp calculator as it is more friendly. Shows what Tyre is best for rim and what places need to look at to fit wheels.

Yeah you're right about that, spedos always run a few mph faster than reality. With my 215/45/17 setup my speedo ran a true speed according to my sat-nav.

Anyone ever put ET35 17" wheels on their 6th gen? How'd it work out? Will they stick out too much? I have 215/45/17 Tyres and will possibly buy some wheels with ET35 offset...if they won't stick out too much, hence my question.