What's new

70k miles from a tyre

moob

Members
Reaction score
Car
iCDTi
I know, highly unlikely, but I just changed a Michelin Primacy that I was told had likely been on the car from when it was built.

The car has now done 70k miles - tyre still had 0.5mm of legal tread on it, but looked rather old/cracked etc.

What's the maximum anyone else has seen on a tyre?

70k is rather alot, the only way that can be the case, is if they were on the rear wheels for their whole life, and the toe and pressures were perfectly in spec.

Personally i dont believe it though, because anything from 25K onwards is a good innings from a tyre.

70k is rather alot, the only way that can be the case, is if they were on the rear wheels for their whole life, and the toe and pressures were perfectly in spec.

Personally i dont believe it though, because anything from 25K onwards is a good innings from a tyre.

I know it seems implausable, but I can't figure out any other way the tyre being a 2005 dated on the wall, would be on my car.

I've owned it since it was 2 years old.

I used to have a Megane (sorry) that did over 35k on a front set of Michelins which I thought was excellent.

I used to have a Megane (sorry) that did over 35k on a front set of Michelins which I thought was excellent.

Sorry lol, 35k on the front is very good effort! We still talking double that here tho!

Tyres that are put on "new" are not always new in terms of when they were actually made, it could have had another set put on just before you owned it, but the tyres put on were 2years old. To have say '11 tyres fitted in '11 is not a guarantee. Same applies with oils, i bought some oil the other day, it was new pot etc, but the made date was april 2010.

If you get me ^^ might not be clear lol

You mean poor stock rotation dude :D

My old Merc W124 series was amazing on tyres, 40K+ when rotated, so it is possible.

Dunno about maximum but if I get 12k/1 year out of a tyre, I'm doing well. :huh: