What's new

7th CTDI. Heater cold on drivers side

i use a flushing gun that connects to a water hose and airline to get crap out of heater cores, works most of the time, have to be careful with it tho, you could blow the matrix to bits.

i use a flushing gun that connects to a water hose and airline to get crap out of heater cores, works most of the time, have to be careful with it tho, you could blow the matrix to bits.
was you having the heat blowing out of one side issue?

Not on my accord but I've had a few cars in with similar problems. I run a garage
Ahh ok cool, what do you think it could be?, I have the gen7 I-CDTI TOURER facelift, cold drivers side, heat on passenger side. An auto electrician told me today it’s not the blending valve, thanks

Petersfield in hampshire.
flaps being stuck sounds possible, id try and get behind the dash a see if they can be moved by hand, or to check the operation of the flaps

Last edited:
im not sure to be honest, never had to do anything like that on an accord
autodata says the repair time for the blower motor is less than 30 mins so id imagine it fairly open under there

Another flush at the weekend, less came out of the matrix than the inlet/outlet pipes and so I flushed through the whole cooling system before refilling (just a litre or so of antifreeze).

Still no heat out of the matrix but I'm without a thermostat in there.

The needle does reach centre point after about 15 minutes though.

I drained the system this morning into a bowl, (more to save the last antifreeze) but there seems to be little discolouration after a few days, about 50 miles of local commute.

One more flush of the matrix - forward and reverse - plus yet another clean of the system before it got too cold to play outside. A bit more oxide came out of all three which makes me think there is no pressure of water up to the matrix. I did let the bowl stand for an hour or so but almost no debris in the bottom

There is now the vestige of something less than freezing coming out of the vents once the engine gets to temperature, so perhaps the matrix really has clogged up fully in the capilliaries in the years I've owned her.

I put back the drained fluid, bled and added a small cup of washing up liquid to ***ist. I've also overfilled above the top level in the reservior in case this helps force through the muck into the main part of the cooling system.

Will report back in a few days but there could be progress after all.

Does anyone have a diagram showing direction of coolant around the i-ctdi engine ?

Having pulled the matrix inlet pipe whilst the engine running, there is almost no flow out from the engine block, the pipe is also cold (whereas the matrix exit is hot).

blend flap motor failed
Which would be where if not inside the matrix ?

For there to be virtually no flow up to the top of the system I can only have a massive air lock somewhere, a faulty water pump, a catastrophic failure between two pipes in the cooling ststem overall