What's new

7th gen 04 Saloon rear brake seizing issue (query)

Tiberious SG

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Reg CDTI 2.2
I had the issue with my rear Brake caliper's last year and had to replace my discs after warping due to siezing.

I looked at a number of the rear caliper threads on the forum (most are tourer related)

Earlier this year (coincidentially during the Hot spell in march) My rear Drivers side caliper seized again and casued the handbrake to stop functioning, so I bit the bullet and replaced the calliper with a new non-remanufactured Honda OEM part.

Now two monthes on, the weathers Hot again and the other rear caliper seized up during my 50 mile trip home the other day (M6 motorway) so looks like I need to replace this one too.

I have read that the forum belives the issue is caused by the breaking down of the OEM rubber brakelines, in which case should I look at uprated hoses such as steel braided Goodridge or Hell lines or this a waste of money or time?

I have previously cleaned and had the calipers checked, but every time we get a hot spell the rear brakes give me grief (I'm not sure if the hot weather is a coincidence or not, as it has not happened in cooler weather)

I have replaced my Brake fluids in the last month (this is done every year along with all other fluids), but my rear calipers had always looked badly corroded from Car's purchase in 2010, and they are original.

Any advise on the correct course of action to ressolve issue more permanetly, would be greatly appreciated. ( I dont have any problems with the high level of maintenace my 7th gen diesel saloon requires ,but I do like to ressolve issues rather than put them off for another day where possible)

At the momrnt I plan to replace the other caliper and then look into uprated brake lines unless anyone has any further advise?

(No brake work modification has taken place yet, in the future I do hope to replace pads and discs with better EBC ones and replace front calipers with ATR ones but for now, dependability is the order of the day as Suspension is next on my modification to do list)

On a more diagnostic note, I had thought I was initially experiencing the hesitation problem reported for egr issues, as she felt sluggish and as if she was being held back (which of course with rear left caliper engaged is exactly why she felt like this).

I even purchased some BG244, before I realised the rear left brake was the issue.

Another key indicator was the bright red brake dust deposited around the disc's edge and hub.

The more vibrant colour is due to an overheated pad caused by brake being engaged at motorway speeds.

And finally and probably most obviously, my fuel efficiency reduced dramatically.

Your flexy hoses have given you 8 years of trouble free service despite hard use operating in extreme pressure & temperature conditions. OK maybe theyre breaking down now. But IMO theres no point in paying for fancy aeroquip type hoses - any replacement hose should give you another 8 years service - which will probably outlast the car.
The Honda OE part suffers from the degradation so you might as well get a cheapo aftermarket part - it cant be any worse quality....
Disconnect the hose and see if the caliper bore is full of black crud. if not, theres no point in replacing it.
BTW ambient air temp in the UK will have negligable effect on any heat related problem - brake temps are way higher than our scorcing 28 degrees last week

I'd be interested to know why Honda has a particular issue with brake lines causing callipers to sieze? I'd also tend to agree with the sentiments above - if the callipers are knackered and that's a trend I can't see a good reason for sticking with oem. But also (as above) if the calliper can be cleaned and the bore/piston looks unmarked then just go with replacement seals.

Your flexy hoses have given you 8 years of trouble free service despite hard use operating in extreme pressure & temperature conditions. OK maybe theyre breaking down now. But IMO theres no point in paying for fancy aeroquip type hoses - any replacement hose should give you another 8 years service - which will probably outlast the car.
The Honda OE part suffers from the degradation so you might as well get a cheapo aftermarket part - it cant be any worse quality....
Disconnect the hose and see if the caliper bore is full of black crud. if not, theres no point in replacing it.
BTW ambient air temp in the UK will have negligable effect on any heat related problem - brake temps are way higher than our scorcing 28 degrees last week

Cheers for the reply, I think your right, eight years is nothing to be sniffed at, My brother's are bikers and keep going on about braided hoses, etc. but I don't do track days and have kept my Accord stock so up-rating for little return for either durability / performance or aesthetic gains here does not make sense.

as for the caliper, I'm genuinely worried about messing with the brakes myself (it was only a few weeks ago that I was defeated by a seized bolt on the engine rocker cover!) so will pass on your info to my trusted Mechanic to have a look next week.

As for Temps cheers for the answer I have to admit I actually thought the warm weather was at play here. but just coincidence I guess.

I'd be interested to know why Honda has a particular issue with brake lines causing callipers to sieze? I'd also tend to agree with the sentiments above - if the callipers are knackered and that's a trend I can't see a good reason for sticking with oem. But also (as above) if the calliper can be cleaned and the bore/piston looks unmarked then just go with replacement seals.

I'm not really sure if its an issue as eight years and 120+k before the rear brake lines start to degrade is not bad especially as I have no idea if Honda would have replaced the the brake lines under regular services (I've been doing all the maintenance work myself and with the help of my local mechanic for the last two years and 25K).

I think as with Bushes we probably should consider these a considerable rather than a fault and if any one accord 7th gen is approaching year eight + 100k maybe its a good idea to have the hoses replaced and fluids changed to prevent this issue.

having said that I'm a relative newbie to cars and their maintenance so do other manufacturers brake-lines nit degrade?

Flexy hoses are a common mot fail and your right any rubber part is pretty much a consumable. But I have never seen the interior degradation in accords elsewhere. I think you only need to change them when you see the symptoms of binding brakes. If it aunt broken don't fix it