What's new

7th gen 2.2 DPF

mikdys

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 EX
General consensus searching on this site is that the 7th gen doesn't have a DPF. Certainly, no DPF is mentioned in the handbook and there don't appear to be any related warning lights on the dash. The thing that concerns me though is that underneath the car, joining the exhaust down-pipe to the centre section, is something that looks very much like a catalytic convertor. It even has heat shields like a petrol engined cat would have. PFKL382208 CONVERTER COMP. £818.29 in the linked schematic (if you can view this): http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__0202&block_03=3063

Does anyone know what this is and if it's in fact a DPF? If it is something else can it be safely ignored or are there things that should be done to avoid trouble from it?

My concern is that I am doing a lot of low speed commuting in heavy traffic and I don't want problems from a blocked DPF (in fact I am hoping my car doesn't have one of these contraptions fitted to it from what I have read about them). Please don't say the answer, whatever is fitted to the exhaust, is an "occasional good thrashing to clear the exhaust" - I bought this car to save on fuel and running costs!

Thanks for any constructive replies.

Mike, no DPF on the 7th, as stated by John - it's a cat.

Thanks for the replies.

Is the cat something that can be safely ignored or are there ways of "looking after it"?

It's not a servicable item mate. Just don't ever over fill the oil and try and stick to decent diesel fuel (avoid the supermarket stuff).

I'm using Shell diesel mostly (not V Power) as its as cheap as the supermarkets here.

Do you think it will hurt the cat by me rarely getting over 2,000 rpm and mostly driving at about 1,500 rpm? (49.5mpg at last fill up and that's on stop-start commuting with only short traffic free runs at low speed in between).

No not at all mate. Shell regulr low sulphur is a very good regular diesel, so stick to it. Ensure regular fuel filter changes etc but it's just normal practise.